Abbotsford News: Always Dispose Of Smoker’s Materials Properly In Non-Combustible Container

By January 15, 2013Abbotsford News

Submitted. At 18:13 hours (6:13 pm) Wednesday, the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) responded to a report of a residential structure fire in a suite at 31790 Union Avenue. The fire was reported by the building manager who enter a suite when he heard a smoke alarm sounding, he discovered smoke and flames inside the suite. He used the buildings fire alarm system to evacuate the apartment building and notify the fire department.

On arrival, fire crews observed smoke in the hallway of the apartment building and the tenants evacuating.
Fire crews made quick entry into the suite located on the first floor and extinguished the small fire that was located in a garbage can located under the kitchen sink.
The occupants of the suite had gone out at the time of the fire and returned to the apartment building to find fire crews on scene.
The Fire Rescue Service responded to this fire scene with seven apparatus and thirty fire fighters.

Fire and water damage to the suite was contained to the kitchen area with a damage estimate of $2500.00. The cause of the fire is believed to be discarded smokers material in the garbage can.

The Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service would like to remind citizens to always dispose of smoker’s materials properly in a non-combustible container.

Leave a Reply