The Public Hearing into the Abbotsford Community Services (ACS) and BC Housing Supportive Housing Rezoning Application for Monday, February 3rd at City Hall at 7:00 PM.
From the ACS website:
What Homelessness in Abbotsford Looks Like
Abbotsford Community Services (ACS), in partnership with BC Housing is proposing to develop a 21-unit apartment building on their property at 2408 Montvue Avenue in Abbotsford, adjacent to the ACS offices. The project will house men who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness.
This is the third project in Abbotsford which addresses the issue of homelessness and its impact on the community, with the first being the Christine Lamb Residence on Clearbrook Road and the second being the George Schmidt Centre on King Road.
Some facts about this initiative:
- The initiative uses a Housing First model, which contends that until a person’s housing and basic needs are met, they cannot address other issues such as mental health and substance misuse.
- This is a supported housing initiative, which means the site will have staffing until 9 PM as well as an on-site caretaker 24/7.
- ACS staff will provide additional supportive services including Addictions, Counselling, Advocacy, Employment Services, Life Skills Training, Mentoring and Food Bank Services.
- ACS will partner with health and mental health professionals and other community based services to support residents.
- The site will be low barrier, which means that residents will not need to be clean and sober to enter the facility, but upon intake, they will be required to enter into an agreement that identifies physical and mental health and substance misuse and a plan to address these issues.
- Unlike a temporary emergency shelter bed, this will be someone’s stable home with supportive services on-site.
This site will have:
- No needle exchange
- No illicit substances allowed on premises
- No visitors allowed in the suites
- Secure, fenced in smoking area
- Alcohol consumption will be monitored and restricted
- Inappropriate and disruptive behaviours will be addressed
This is your opportunity to be heard. If you are interested in speaking in support of the proposed supportive housing project at 2408 Montvue Avenue, please let us know. Call Janna @ 604.859.7681 Ext. 204 for the latest details.