The Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) responded to two incidents last night, October 31, 2013.
The first incident, just after midnight, was a balcony fire at a condominium complex at Tims Street and George Ferguson Way. A second floor balcony was decorated for Halloween and candles were used in the display. One of the candles burned through a plastic pot, catching the deck on fire. The neighbour directly above the suite threw water on the fire and minimized damage to the balcony. There was minor damage to the surface of the deck.
The second incident, at 1:05 am, was a structure fire at 32130 Hillcrest. Fire crews quickly brought the fire under control. The house was vacant and no one was injured. The fire is suspicious in nature and is under investigation by AFRS fire investigators. Five AFRS units and 20 firefighters responded to the incident, as well as the Abbotsford Police.