Certain Items Should Not Be Tossed In Washing Machine

By September 27, 2013Community News

Sumbitted. At 14:49 am on Tuesday, September 24, 2013, the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) responded to a report of a fire alarm activation at the apartments of the Cedars at Centennial Court at 2451 Gladwin Rd.

Upon arrival, fire crews made entry into an empty suite where they discovered a single sprinkler-head activation and a small suppressed fire located in the washing machine.

The cause of the fire was determined to be spontaneous combustion. The home owner had recently stained cabinets with tung oil finish and was in the process of washing the rags in the washing machine. Damage to the unit could reach as high as $30,000 from fire, smoke and water damage. No injuries have been reported.

AFRS would like to remind all residents that products which have a high tendency to heat spontaneously include tung oil and linseed oil (commonly used in furniture refinishing), fish meal, fish oil, alfalfa meal, cod liver oil, corn meal feeds, oiled fabrics, oiled rags, peanuts, varnished fabrics, and charcoal.

All materials exposed to these oils should be stored in closed containers, preferably metal, and in small quantities. These containers should be stored outdoors.

Leave a Reply