FH Moves Forward With Proposal To Redevelop Former MSA Hospital Lands

Submitted. Fraser Health has issued a request for proposal (RFP) to secure a development partner for the redevelopment of the MSA (Matsqui Sumas Abbotsford) Hospital lands in Abbotsford.

The health authority envisions the future of this site to be a walkable, urban village with a state of the art Campus of Care for seniors, including a 200-bed residential care facility, a Community Health Centre, multi-family housing, and retail and park space. The project will be a partnership between Fraser Health, the Fraser Valley Regional Hospital District and the City of Abbotsford.

“Through the years, various options for this site have been considered and it is exciting to see this project moving forward,” said Health Minister Terry Lake. “The proposed redevelopment focuses on a patient-centred approach with a goal of supporting the entire health care spectrum.”

“The vision for this project aligns with Fraser Health’s strategic and operational plan and commitment to invest in health services in the community, and in long term care,” said Wynne Powell, interim board chair Fraser Health. “These community investments benefit patients by helping them to manage their health at home, and avoid hospitalization.”

In February, the Fraser Valley Regional Hospital District approved in principle the provision of 40 per cent of the projected $35.2-million capital cost for the seniors’ complex. The remaining 60 per cent will be contributed through the province and Fraser Health. Fraser Health will own and operate the facility.

The Community Health Centre would be the second facility of its kind in the Fraser Health region. The first opened in the summer of 2013 on the Mission Memorial Hospital campus. The core philosophy of Community Health Centres is to keep people well by better coordinating and situating together a range of community health services and programs, such as Public Health, Home Health, and Mental Health and Substance Use. This means people can receive the majority of their health care in one location, improving patient experience, enhancing health outcomes, and reducing hospital visits.

“This is exactly the type of consolidated health care facility that our community needs,” said Bruce Banman, Abbotsford Mayor. “The City is pleased to be at the table as a partner with Fraser Health and the Fraser Valley Regional Hospital District in this project that will put the needs of residents first.”

“We are extremely pleased to see this redevelopment proposal move forward,” said Chuck Stam, chair of the Fraser Valley Regional Hospital District. “Residents throughout the region will have complete access to state-of-the-art care, ultimately providing a promising investment to the future of the region.”

The redevelopment of the MSA lands is subject to a successful RFP process, which is expected to last until early 2015, when the final scope and scale of the project will be determined. The full RFP can be found on BC Bid.

Leave a Reply