Garage Fire On Saddle Street

By February 24, 2014Community News

Submitted. At 1:00 pm on Sunday February 23, Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) crews responded to a report of a house fire at 3216 Saddle Street.
Upon arrival, fire crews discovered light smoke coming from a garage that was attached to the house. AFRS crews were unable to fight the fire from the exterior, so crews had to gain access to the garage from the interior of the residence.

Crews were then able to quickly extinguish the fire before it caused extensive damage. Damage was limited to an area in the corner of the garage, and the interior of the residence suffered light smoke damage.

The cause of the fire is thought to be accidental in nature. Two bags of ashes from the fireplace were temporarily stored in the garage and the ashes likely provided the ignition source. No injuries occurred in this fire. The public is reminded that ashes can retain heat for several days and should never be stored inside any structure.

Five AFRS fire units with 20 firefighters attended this fire. APD, BCAS and Hydro also attended.

Leave a Reply