By George Evens. Open Letter to politicians and media to open dialogue & share some thoughts on a potpourri of issues, problems and some solutions
Dear Prime Minister, MP, Premier, MLA, Opposition Leaders, Publishers, Editors, Reporters, Columnists, Talk Show Hosts, Mayors & Councillors, Dr. Nigel Murray, CEO/FHA, Mr. David Black, President/CEO Black Press, Police Boards/Assn/Commissioner/Chiefs, Political Associations, Seniors’ Associations, Seniors’ & General Public:
In this Edition – Mission Mayor promises timely attention to Seniors’ Activity Centre in Inagural Address December 5, 2011, NOW READ (ECAC) VIEWS 18 months later; Acceptable/Unacceptable Behaviour’s, Judgment & Publication of info under examination by “Authorities” or Media; lots of Political perspectives & suggested “talking points”, if not adequately covered by mainstream Media outlets:
* Here is a link to the Mission Seniors’ Living 55 Plus, published last Thursday monthly. The e-edition is available at http://www.missioncityrecord.com/eeditions/ or ‘click on attachment pdf above for June 27th’ publication. To view all editions click on the (desired) edition.
* The Sun (most recent on Elder abuse) & Province have done some good articles, thus, each Community paper can augment and help bring information & solutions to the many dilemma’s facing Seniors but caring is the first obstacle or challenge to be met. The Province series Boomerangst gives a good overview of Seniors’ needs, refer to http://www.theprovince.com/news/boomerangst/our-aging-society.html
EDITORIALLY SPEAKING OF COURSE BUT-
* A Public examination begins – One area to start, “Is there a legal or moral demand upon Police issuing Media Releases & Media publishing same, to exercise discretion, fairness, ethical & only publish factual proven information”? Is it permissable for Public consumption, to publish “allegations unproven”? Is it ethical, empathetic and good judgment to use “inflammatory & very damaging character assassination and sensational words” to rise the ire of the Public and (brand) the perpetrator guilty in Public mind, presumably. If later, certain allegations are unproven, is a similar size (retraction) reasonable to expect. Is there an expectation of innocent until proven guilty which does not apply to Police or Media actions toward accused? Is there an expectation only current factual “Court ordered Conditions” be published? Should an (isolated) conviction, extenuating circumstances and non-reoccurrence, prior to or after the said offense, witness this (sensational) case continually be used to exacerbate current, much lesser infractions, some unproven in nature? Is there a need for common decency and empathy for families of accused, to reflect commonsense, to realize the significant impact on this (innocent) third party to (hear) of a family member infraction in all it gory and insensitive nature, thus the potential harm to reputation and character of family, just so some Police/Media may exacerbate the sensational. Is there or should there be a “‘Statute of Limitation” when no reoccurrence of the infraction occurs, letting the individual develop a clean slate, in time, to help them move on in life without long past (isolated) crimes hanging over their head? Is Public perceptions of being arbitrarily denied opportunity to have view published, such as Letter to Editor, to be censored, whereas Editors or Public Information offices retain some right to say what they desire, unchallenged and having this (power) might abuse of privilege be entertained by a lesser person, thus impuning others in their profession?
· The Council Advocacy, with other interest groups may undertake some investigation as to how our Justice System should work.
· It appears a given, (Individuals) may be the archilles heel, who bring disrepute to policing (Police Officers in the Judge Braidwood hearing comes to mind) but might there be over-zealous local Police and yes, possibly application to some in Media adding to current distrust. Would collusion ever be acceptable to try and discredit a perpetrator/opponent?
· For certain, Police Acts, a need for Civilian Commissioner/Chief, absolutely no Police to investigate other Police, only a civilian body are crucial, possibly some parliamentary changes and yes, a new culture and philosophy to our Justice System. Trust & Respect of Police, notably overcoming horrendous series of RCMP misdeeds, is possible, with changes. Thank God the likes of Minister V. Toews, MP are gone and hopefully the antiquated approach, to law & order, policing, by Conservative Government to perpetuate (warehousing) instead of rehabilitation, to benefit the Country, at yes, lesser costs & efficiencies.
* The Council Advocacy calls upon allies of people, finances and resources from around the World, in many diverse endeavours, via altruistic & caring measures. But likewise depict some of the most despicable human–beings on Earth, from all walks of life, characteristics from the Psychopath, Narcissistic, Apathetic, Passive & ultra-Greedy, who by their very nature contribute to the misery and ill-fortunes of others, both HUMAN and ANIMAL alike and do so from an unbelievable ignorant but often lack of empathy perspective. Society is moving to kinder animal husbandry methods of production, like elimination of “Battery Hen Cages” or “Pig Farrowing Crate/Veal Crates”, yet some like the atrocious King Amendment to the US Farm Bill would seek to retain immense cruel Battery Hen Cages. We witness Government seeking to perpetuate massive cruel killing of Seals, claiming sustainable industry but the atrocious act and methods of (killing) is condoned. Bullying gains a lot of attention but little constructive steps to end because, in its many forms, from accepted practices in Military & Police involving harassment, sexual harassment, hazing and such, emanate from “old-boys networks” and dinosaur mentalities, even up to and including violent acts against the Public as reported in various media stories in recent times. There exists a culture of power, entitlement, which may include lying and sense of being untouchable and reluctance to actually change beyond some “lip-service” to respond to sensational short-term attention span media blips. So it goes, a thin thread of denial, immense ignorance, feared threats to power bases that a small segment of Society still clings and sadly retains this power albeit slowly changing. The antiquated power of (political leaders) and the lack of political will to make change is witnessed and while systemic damage is caused, notably to Canada and our culture, reputation and prestige in the World, a mechanism to STOP the likes of so many (dictatorial) and ideology inspired leadership & action, whether the perpetuation of the current ill-advised Senate, failure to place Police Commissioners or Military Generals in place to remedy, instead leaders are seemingly chosen to perpetuate the status-quo, to engage stalling and bafflegab. Or, recent Senate & RCMP scandals (may be tip of ice-berg actually) to horrendous mistreatment of Animals in “Factory Farms”, to the “Propane Cannon” unnecessary & unhealthy noise debacle, even to the continued use of “Booom Box Stereos” or “noisy motorcycle or vehicle mufflers”, they all trace back to a diminishing minority of, frankly, terrible people who lack wisdom, empathy, sound judgment, forsight, vision, innovation & caring, the many who fill the seats of power locally or in Legislatures to leaders at RCMP, Military or other symbols of power elite across our Nation. Sadly, they are a disgrace to public office, the shame of Canada, the leaderless minority that, sadly, still cling to power in large part, due to an apathetic electorate – at least that is how we view matters today.
* Keep in mind, this is not your typical Newsletter, many complain & do nothing constructive, whereas, ECAC has established a public expectation to “tell it how it actually is, no political correctness, no sacred-cows, no “political “spin” but equally important to be pro-active”. The Council Advocacy and other “Advocates” research facts, seek effective long term solutions and offer forthright opinion, not “spin”, solutions “you can take to the Bank” with some confidence. Read carefully, keep an open-mind, broaden your ‘attention span’ and you will learn something….. Remember these simple rules
1. Open discussion of ideas, values and priorities together with the expression of opinion is the basis for shaping effective and meaningful action
2. The phony prominence derived from elected office (Legislature, Municipal Council, Chamber of Commerce or Non-Profit Association) status neither promises omniscience nor protection from criticism from fellow citizens. The apparent fact that local (papers) will not criticize does not imply that others won’t or shouldn’t.
3. Anyone daring to contradict the power structure, has been rudely dismissed and belittled by those whom they have dared to criticize.
§ Often a case of “the same people, successive & frequently partisan reappointments/re-elections, doing the same things, resistance to change, encountered at many similar (bodies), expecting a different outcome”. (Often) wondering at lack of progress or why Volunteers are not interested. Attracting new & retaining current Volunteers is crucial. As well, measuring progress, to avoid pitfalls of “longevity breeding familiarity and fostering complacency that stifles new people & ideas”, a fine line indeed.
§ adage often espoused, “we need different people & ideas to change the direction/outcome of where we are at and how we got here – in order to progress”.
§ Increases in Membership are crucial, to sustain volunteer aspects of operating an effective Association, to achieving community presence and relationship fulfillment of volunteer plans and goals, to broader community interests and results of any undertaking by an Association, Membership growth & sustained numbers is the most crucial goal to achieve.
v Informed & empathetic Leadership is needed to make an inclusive community, an Age-Friendly Community, an environmentally sensitive community. “The Council Advocacy” through (Divisions), notably to focus upon “The Elder Citizen Action Coalition” (ECAC) provides unsolicited, frank & sometimes “in your face”, sage advice in a constructive and objective manner, facts and wisdom exuding empathy but equally public opinion about public interests being observed and met or not, with proposed solutions. The “News to You Newsletter” offers a potpourri of issues & spectrums related to politics & living in Canada, BC or a Municipality but a new feature is our focus upon “Seniors’ issues, under The Elder Citizen Action Coalition. We seek to identify the most common symptoms, traits & problems and to offer some solutions or ideas that (Politicians) or (Organizations) may try to improve circumstances. If you recognize any of the adverse indicators we allude to, you may wish to investigate, ask questions or get more involved, before it is too late.
THE LEARNING PAGE – offers sage advice and counsel to all Humans, with some focus upon Seniors’ but seeks to explore and thus, provide you with proven successful “Management skills & techniques” to improve your productivity, informed decision making & stimulate your creativity, innovation and contribution to Society. It is “look in the mirror time”.
* A Mission Seniors’ Dream, “An Activity Centre within my lifetime”. The Mayor’s inaugural address December 5, 2011, 18 months ago, promised “I will look at every available option – in a timely manner”. Since then, a Seniors’ Task Force has been formed and has held numerous meetings & toured various possible sites. The Public can expect a report to Council, by the Seniors’ Task Force later this year. At this writing, we cannot be assured what may be proposed but we await with baited breath.
· Thus, on the one hand, it became a “Build and they will come” scenario, sort of a ‘good faith’ approach, that Seniors’ deserve their own facility but few have shown interest or support. The downside of this approach is for Politicians to invest some $5+ million to build a facility and no one comes. Sadly, many Seniors’ sought to have a facility in their lifetime, but sadly we have lost too many. Too many Seniors’ have and are, enduring “Loneliness” and finally, delays have perpetuated a lack of inclusiveness, lack of deserved respect for Seniors’ who indeed have built Mission but are relegated to a shared small inadequate facility.
· Sadly, a crucial component, to know our Seniors’ audience, has not been anticipated nor compiled. Simply, what is the number of our audience, beyond the approx. 9800 Seniors’ over 55 years of age, or by extension approx. 4872 over 65 years of age, but the unknown number is “how many would seek to avail themselves of this desired Seniors’ Activity Centre”?
Lest we overlook a most important perspective, notably “Plan with Seniors and not for them”, the current vacuum of information is unproductive, at best. ECAC has established a high standard of expectations, fundamental specifications about location, size, funding and services to be provided, that when the Seniors’ Task Force makes its recommendations, Seniors’ will have some measure of comparison, to witness if our needs are met, which we repeat below:
v The basic Seniors’ Activity Centre should initially be approx. 12,000 sq. ft in size (with expansion five years hence to 15,000 sq ft and maybe in 10 years hence expansion to 20,000 sq. ft). It should be erected as a cement structure, possibly tilt-up sections, adjacent the Leisure Centre, on the 2 acre District owned property, to mitigate building costs, with any zoning change facilitated by Council. Being adjacent the Leisure Centre incorporates use of available services, such as weight training, swimming pool and other applicable amenities used by Seniors’. Located on easy access Bus route. We envisage incorporating a several story above/beneath ground parking façade. In addition, consideration, to above ground 2-3 story housing, incorporating some low-cost Seniors’ Housing, possible inclusion of several 300 sq. ft, single suites, in a mix of market housing, to facilitate a cost-saving viable venture. Actual services may vary upon determined interest and need but our web. site www.thecouncilclaw.ca affords viewing like new Seniors’ Activity Centre’s at Pitt Meadows, as well, Maple-Ridge, Coquitlam and West Vancouver, as well, incorporating an internal/external Senio0rs’ Exercise facility similar to that at Mill Lake, Abbotsford, designed & calibrated specifically for Seniors’ needs and conditions. We would envisage the structure being owned by the District and as landlords enjoy tax concessions and by contrast responsible for Maintenance & Repairs; that a fee-for-service would be paid to the Seniors Governance Association to operate the building as a 100% usage &self-governed facility, comprised of a specified number paid employees and augmented by a large Volunteer base. All participants should be paid members (and Guests) of the MSCA, with a small usage charge to those attending events (with a ‘gratis’ grandfathering to the OAPO). Levels of services/events to meet respective age groups, such as so-called “Young Seniors up to74; Mid-Seniors’ 75-84; Older-Seniors’ 85 plus” are desired to attract & sustain all levels of participation. The facility needs to be a self-governed, open availability seven days weekly on a 24/7 basis, subject to appropriate scheduling by Seniors’. A Seniors’ Governance & Planning Committee of potential users can readily establish desired activities. In addition, there needs to be consideration given to both Pre-Seniors, aged 50-59, with some sporadic mentoring of younger person to establish a needed respect of Seniors’ by young person’s through some inter-actions.
· To this end, ECAC take this opportunity to renew our demands, in the spirit and intent of ensuring a viable, effective and deserved Seniors’ Activity Centre evolves, that we do not witness, “needs falling through the cracks” or that an (inferior) facility is imposed.
* What do Politicians like the most about VOTERS? Given most (Politicians) have an established group of “follow at any cost mentality supporters”, they love to witness low voter turnout, a thriving apathy and when the eligible VOTERS become aroused, seek “change” and a higher voter turn-out is anticipated, we occasionally find the “weak leave the sinking ship and not seek re-election”.
* Possibly the single greatest demand upon VOTERS everywhere, whether to elect “Boards at Associations” or “Politicians” the more pronounced qualities desired in Candidates include their exuding “empathy”, just as being wary of persons to avoid, the “passive bystanders”, thus the qualities of sound ethics and values that set true “Leaders” apart from the pack – take the time to research Candidates carefully, set high standards and vote for people who meet needs. “We are only limited by the imagination of our Leaders”.
“DELIBERATELY STUPID AWARD” – This ‘infamous’ increasingly popular, recognized authority is awarded to the most deserving, the misguided, arrogant, self-centered & truly ignorant among us but the “deliberately stupid” category is a truly heartfelt distinction not that many, fortunately, can aspire to & attain..
v (Repeat) Fraser Health Authority decision to impose pay parking at Mission Memorial Hospital in 5 years, prompting expansion of ongoing (current) protest to eliminate pay parking at Hospitals, by adding a protest to prohibit FHA & Mission Council from proceeding with an agreement to add MMH to the list of Hospital charging (unacceptable) parking fees.
v Federal Government make “shop local” changes to reality – “SHOP LOCAL” is obvious and understood, Consumers all know “what is local”, and will continue to shop local as we know it! So, how can a new interpretation be up to 50 miles outside Provincial borders, how can LOCAL be anything but LOCAL except through eyes of some misguided bureaucrat or to appease some self-serving Factory Farmer trying to mislead the public for self-gains.
v NEWSPAPERS failing to be responsive to Readers needs, becoming “covers to a multitude of advertising flyers”, failing to realize the importance of “Opinion/Your View/Letter pages”, which must be a minimum ½ page, to preferable full page, dedicated to Readers views/Letters/Guest Column. Failure to maximize benefits of electronic, daily updating, keeping info fresh and enticing, maximizing readers needs but similarly newspapers desire for revenue sources which are perceived a more preoccupation with revenue, as occasionally, for example, a Letters page may find a mere one (often small) letter, with 95% of page devoted to paid advertising. Do Publisher/Editors actually believe Readers thrive to their paper to read advertising or are we collectively more interested in local residents letters & information important to us – really a no-brainer?
v We accurately predicted the loss by Christy Clark, rightly so but the ill-advised undemocratic practice of another duly elected MLA (possibly more qualified & dedicated to the Riding), having to surrender their seat so the (Leader) can be elected is repugnant. As well, (Politicians) being elected, prior to their term end, decide to fulfill self-interests, seek new private careers or just resign their unfulfilled tenure, decide to run for “higher office”, thus, to create unacceptable public cost, so a by-election can be held to replace them in their foolhardy act but equally, if they lose, they feel justified to retain their seat. Thus, abusive politics must end, if we are ever to regain a sense of movement to (Honourable) politics. In the interim, at the very least such (Politicians) ought to be accountable to assume payment for all costs incurred for by-election.
v Provincial Government for “slapping Seniors’ in the face (twice), first, (wrongly) creating a Seniors’ Advocate but not as an Independent Officer of the Legislature (like Ombudsperson & Children & Youth) and second, no MINISTER, only now a “Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Health for Seniors’”, such utterly (stupid) and shortsighted, given the major number of Seniors’, potential voting power at each level of Government, such a disrespectful disregard for the people that ”built BC” and are deserving of appropriate representation now.
v People who wrongly & exceedingly stupidly perpetuate “bullying” and similarly the unfortunate stigma, prejudice & discrimination associated with Mental Illnesses; failure to empathize with hurtful burden to family members; failure to exude compassion for others to look into someone else’s eyes and listen to others voices and try to walk in others peoples shoes. Sadly, a failure to, through legislation but equally individual compassion & understanding to focus education about mental health to not only deal effectively with the illness but again, equally the stigma, that must be eradicated now.
v People who make unnecessary, unhealthy noises that disrupt communities, from (uncontrolled) incessantly barking Dogs, to noisy motorcycle pipes roaaaaaring down streets, to irresponsible Booooom Box Stereos, could add “yelling fools” at late parties or even hot tub pumps awakening neighbours & equally repugnant, the inept Berry Farmer still using outdated/ineffective Propane Cannons to scare Birds and annoy neighbours (refer BOYCOTT CENTRAL www.thecouncilclaw.ca “Your Direct Action”) & join National boycott to stop buying berries at all Supermarkets selling berries from “propane cannon farms – ask your supermarket dealer where they get berries”. Shame on City of Abbotsford (again after Homeless debacle) to not pass a Bylaw to Regulate Propane Cannons albeit redundant per se, indeed, Propane Cannons must be eliminated from Right to Farm Legislation completely but the point, “a Councillor could actually vote against the Bylaw which is simply astonishing but unfortunately, possibly more representative of Abbotsford leadership”.
v People claiming to “love their Children, Dog or Cat” by taking them in vehicle’s, on hot days, and then leaving in the vehicle to suffer/die from heat, while they go shopping in air conditioned stores – for goodness sake, “LEAVE ALL CHILDREN & PETS AT HOME ON HOT DAYS, SHOW TRUE LOVE”.
v Stampede Rodeos perpetuating inhumane treatment of Animals, notably Calf-Roping (the cowards sport mistreating Calves), Steer Roping (broken necks pending), Chuck wagon Races (almost a guarantee of one or more Horses dying, what happened 2012 or this year?) and we continue to hear rationale of Farmers loving their Animals, treat kindly and other bafflegab to excuse bad decision and known mistreatment. It is time to prohibit these cruel acts in the name of Entertainment, for it is not!
v Government failing to act to prohibit continued use of anti-biotics in Farm Animals, contributing to “Super Bugs” and harm to Human population at anti-biotic resistance strains emerging.
v Government perpetuating the insane vicious killing of Animals for testing battlefield injuries, chemical-weapon antidotes and medical training. Under the guise of antiquated legislation demanding pre-clinical trials on Animals, as well battlefield injuries to Animals, whereas simulations is superior. The believed cause of Canadian Government failure to STOP this insaneness is simply “Institutional inertia” and could stop overnight if the political will existed.
v Federal & Provincial Government failure to establish National prescription drug purchasing, thus failing to result in dramatic cost reduction to RX drugs nationally; failure to reinstate the Therapeutic Initiative to monitor introduction of safe new drugs.
v City of Abbotsford & Abbotsford Downtown Business Assn., first, treating Residents with contempt & disrespect, behavior that demands to be remedied, such as recently (the City) dumping manure to detour Homeless camp; now (ADBA) failing to understand nor support the proposed 20 unit first stage housing for “Homeless” Readers will remember from our recent Newsletter, Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs first plateau was shelter, etc., thus (ACS) housing plan is “bang on target” to at least remove 20, which is merely a small step, to start. The crucial, Provincial if not National plan, must be to remove Homeless by providing (their own home) but mores, to identify causes, for specific attention and treatment, such as “Homeless by unfortunate means, financial and so forth, to Mental factor and last Drug factor, as the perpetuating the scenario of “Homeless” inclusive is eroding both public support, due to confusion and trying to ”broad brush” the dilemma, instead of first attacking shelter, then focus remedy to dealing with either Mental or Drug issues.
The “Political” future is unfolding with optimistic opportunities
We need to “rebuild” the ‘Political system” and reinvigorate the Voters confidence in ‘creating and managing political change needed to restore Voter trust & confidence, including wise & thoughtful realignments of revenue streams to augment “Government coffers”, to eliminate a culture of crass, partisan evasion and lack of sincerity, some paths include.
· Next major public movement, most likely Seniors’ & expansion of the “Silver Tsunami” (a major growing Seniors’ movement, lacking co-ordination/organization of the whole but significant organization among throngs of Seniors’ groups across North America) – The common denominator of public protests, “long-standing issues not being effectively addressed”…..currently the “yell for attention” – next COMMON GOALS/ACTION by any astute Government!
· Canada & Provinces need “Democratic Reforms”, free votes, independent Committees and more powerful ‘Back Benchers”.
· The days of prorogued Government, Omnibus Bills and Autocratic Style, with “no dissent” MUST GO; a need to shake-up things if you want to change the dominant consensus or you’re never going to get progressive & fair change”.
· Simple & fundamental change is needed, abandoning “Leader dictatorship” and “creating effective Recall”, reinstating the Constituent as the primary beneficiary.
* MISSION “ELECTION 2014” – Are Mission & Abbotsford Councils performing, who is/who is not? It is time to start planning our ‘election campaign’ to attract, if needed, a (New Mayor & Council). CRMG (Mission) identified the successful process, a needed (SLATE) approach & typical campaign to achieve a renewal of Council, so let’s make more wise Candidate choices but the campaign process is before us. Will CRMG (Abbotsford)be fielding Candidates? Are any incumbents at Mission or Abbotsford not running for re-election? Seniors’ hold the balance of (votes) to elect a new Council.
Some Important dates to remember
· Thursday September 5, 2013, 10:30am, Mission Seniors Centre Association (No meetings during July & August), meeting at Mission Community Activity Centre ALL SENIORS’ are encouraged to attend this meeting, JOIN or RENEW MSCA ($10 Annual dues – help plan activities – YOUR SENIOR VOICE, LEADERSHIP, SUPPORT & WISDOM is needed more than ever NOW! VOLUNTEERS are needed.
· Thursday September 12, 2013, 1:30pm, Mission Seniors’ Advisory Committee (No meetings during July & August), monthly meeting at Mission Seniors’ Centre (venue change) – What is MSAC doing? Is MSAC attracting “the BEST” Senior Leaders? Does MISSION need one STRONG (Umbrella) organization to (represent) Seniors’ & secure an Activity Centre? An “Age Friendly” community needs a “steering Committee” – who?
· Tuesday October 1, 2013, INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE OLDER PERSON
Note: Please email me any important Seniors’ dates throughout the year, that recognize any Seniors’ accomplishment or issues, such as Elder Abuse Awareness Day, Seniors’ Week, etc.
Some Important web.sites to become aware of & informed about Seniors’ issues
* The Elder Citizen Action Coalition – www.thecouncilclaw.ca ‘click’ CONTENTS. The “cutting-edge Leadership for Seniors’ in Canada – Seniors’ unite & organize; NOW on ECAC site, 23 pictures of the impressive “New” Pitt Meadows Seniors’ Activity Centre (adjoining “The Wesbrooke Seniors’Living Community”
* District of Mission – www.mission.ca – watch Council meetings in progress LIVE VIA WEB CAST or check back anytime to view any topic or issues
* COSCO “Council of Seniors Citizens’ Organizations” www.coscobc.ca – 80 affiliated organizations; 85,000 senior members – The “Joys & Tears Conference” notes now posted
* OMBUDSPERSON – www.bcombudsperson.ca – A Roadmap To Better Seniors’ Care In B.C., A Summary of BC Ombudsperson Report – 176 detailed recommendations. Subscribe to receive email updates at http://www.ombudsman.bc.ca/subscribe Simply, “The Ministry of Health has, in many cases, failed to fulfill its leadership role for Seniors’ care in B.C.”.
* Elder Advocacy & Support (BCCEAS) – www.bcceas.ca (8% or 61,000 Seniors’ in B.C. experience abuse).
* NEW! Mission Seniors’ Activity Centre new web.site www.missionseniorscentre.com
* “The Council” Public Advocacy, has many forms, commenced with “The Council Advocacy” (National, Provincial & Local – formed 1988) as a (political pundit, government or CIVIC policy critic, advocate and more); then spawned “The Council Animal Advocacy (CLAW)” (International, National, Provincial & Local – during 1995) to pro-actively advocate for Animal rights, issues & causes and then; in keeping with a successful endeavour to pro-actively advocate for (Constituents), notably “The Elder Citizen Action Coalition” (ECAC) – “Representing & speaking for Seniors’ who share our values”, commenced (Nationally, Provincially & Local – formed 2008). Our advocacy endeavours are pro-active, persistent, broadly community based and always portray public opinion, factual based assumptions and a “never take (NO) for an answer” approach to all matters. We logically present concerns, issues and solutions to recipients, whether either level of Government or others, in a professional and businesslike manner. Thus, we are prepared to consult, discuss and may accept minor compromise if the integrity and intent of initiative is not sacrificed. But if met with indifference, ignorance or denial, we will vigorously pursue, negotiate to an eventual conclusion, regardless of time or cost. In essence, we take the increasingly broader exposure and inclusion of additional proponents into the matter, which may witness Media involvement, legal avenues, BOYCOTT, Petitions, “Round Table discussion groups” or other avenues, as required. Several NEW features will be to augment and bring pro-active efforts to solutions for “Homeless issues” (identifying components, isolating true homelessness, refocus Drug Addiction & mental Illness components into effective treatment, “Elder Abuse” and contribute solutions to “Bullying” of all ages.
· The Elder Citizen Action Coalition (ECAC) is a private owned, operated, non-profit, apolitical and pro-active Seniors’ organization. On the ‘cutting edge’ of the silver tsunami with the potential to represent millions of like-minded Seniors’ who share our values, thus our sphere of influence is massive.
· ECAC always represent the majority of public interests & public opinion & convey “responsible communication on all matters of public interest. The rallying call, “Unity In Challenging Times” *** Passion *** Persistence *** Power *** Progress
· ECAC Demand “Respect for Seniors’” & improved lifestyle for ALL Seniors’. We are often irreverent, occasionally may portray a “devil’s advocate” persona, seek to address controversy, be provocative and normally “not suffering fools gladly”, we simply desire to “place ideas & issues on the table, & stimulate thought & inspire principled leadership”.
· ECAC, home of the “ELDER CITIZEN ROUND TABLE”, a visionary, innovative, knowledgeable & progressive thinking discussion group selected from the most informed progressive Seniors’ leaders and invited GUESTS; we will attend some Conferences and report back to Seniors Organizations locally. Refer www.thecouncilclaw.ca click ‘CONTENTS’ Elder Citizen Action Coalition – A “Champion of Seniors’ Causes, Needs & Issues”.
SENIORS’ MATTER – “It is time for all to shake hands”
….. Some retrospection will identify a road to follow …..BUT, First, (our focus) Seniors’ and a (story) that needs to be told, watch this space of future informative stories.