Submitted. At 11:35 am on Saturday, April 27, 2013, the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) responded to a report of a kitchen fire at the Women’s Correctional Facility, 33344 King Rd.
Upon arrival at the correctional facility, fire crews were escorted through security to a single story residential unit with light smoke exiting the building.
Corrections staff were reporting the fire was knocked down, but upon further investigation it was discovered there was still a small amount of fire extending into the attic space. Crews were quick to respond and the remaining fire was extinguished. Once overhaul was complete and the fire was determined to be out, the scene was turned back over to the corrections staff.
The cause of the fire was determined to be cooking oil left unattended on the stove. Damage to the unit could reach as high as $30,000 from fire, smoke and water damage.
No injuries to report at this time.
The fire could have been much worse had the facility not been equipped with a sprinkler system. This is another reminder that when cooking with oil, never leave it unattended.
The incident was attended by 18 fire fighters on 5 apparatus.