Laurie Thomson Recognized For Her Quick Actions That Put Out Fire

By May 3, 2013Life

Submitted. At 3:28 pm on Friday, April 19, 2013, the Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) responded for a post fire check at the Salvation Army Thrift Store located at 34081 Gladys Avenue.

The crew responded to the scene where a small fire had occurred in the back of the store as a result of a malfunctioning appliance that had overheated and caught fire. It was reported by the store manager, that Laurie Thomson a customer who was shopping at the store quickly grabbed a nearby fire extinguisher and put out the fire.

Mrs. Thomson stated that she had been shown how to use a fire extinguisher during a training session put on by the Fire Rescue Services Public Education Division at her place of work and that by following the steps that had been taught was able to control and extinguisher the fire.

Mrs. Thomson has been invited to Fire Hall 1 located at 32270 George Ferguson Way to meet with Deputy Fire Chief Mike Helmer to be recognized for her quick actions.

The Fire Rescue Service would like to remind you that a fire extinguisher when used correctly can control a fire if you remember these simple steps:
1. Call 911 and warn the people around you that there is a fire.
2. Ensure the fire is still small and that you keep yourself safe.
3. Know how to use the extinguisher, use the Pull, Aim, Squeeze and Sweep method.
4. Keep a clear exit path in case the fire doesn’t go out?

Leave a Reply