Man Dies after Possible Fentanyl Ingestion

By July 30, 2014Abbotsford News

Submitted. Just before 3:00 pm on Friday, August 1, 2014, the Abbotsford Police Department was contacted by staff at Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre. A 38 year old man had been transported to hospital after being found in medical distress inside his home in the 2100 block of Peardonville Road. A bag containing a white powdery substance was located in close proximity to the man. An analysis of the substance has been completed and it has been determined to be fentanyl.

Fentanyl is a potent, synthetic opioid analgesic that poses dangers because of its rapid absorption into the human body. It is believed that the man ingested a small quantity of fentanyl before going into medical distress. The man has since passed away in hospital.

Abbotsford Police Department Major Crime detectives and Drug Enforcement Unit officers joined APD Patrol officers in the investigation. Abbotsford Fire Rescue and the RCMP Clandestine Lab Unit also played vital roles in assisting with the precautionary treatment of the Peardonville location and the decontamination of first responders.

The Abbotsford Police Department extends condolences to the family and friends of the 38 year old man.

Anyone with information about this incident should contact the Abbotsford Police Department at 604-859-5225, text us at 222973 (abbypd) or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Leave a Reply