Mariners Men’s Premier Team Wins Soccer City League Cup

By April 9, 2013Sports News

From Mariners FC. The Abbotsford Magnuson Ford United Football Club made it two Cup wins in seven days with a solid 2 – 0 Soccer City League Cup win over the Port Moody Gunners on Friday, April 5th . While it was raining heavily during the match, the local lads were reigning champions following the final whistle in what was a wet and wild win.

Facing the same Port Moody team they had defeated in last weekend’s Pakenham Cup, Abbotsford got off to a quick start using their speed and ball control to test the Port Moody defenders. Midfielder Brian Davis sent Colton O’Neill down the left side in the 7th minute with O’Neill blasting a shot just wide. Minutes later, game MVP Justin Sekhon eluded his check, gathered in a pass from Connor O’Neill only to send a low hard shot to the side of the Port Moody net. Midfielder Koby Byrne got into the act blasting a 25 yard shot that challenged the Port Moody keeper and won the Abbotsford team a corner kick.

The first half saw chances for both sides although the run of the play was controlled by the Abbotsford squad. The hard work and speed of the Abbotsford midfielders and defence frustrated a Port Moody team known for their ball control and methodical build up. Outside backs Bryce Davis and Sukh Dhaliwal held the quick Port Moody wingers solidly in check, both enjoying outstanding games. Midfielder Kree Byrne ran miles during the match opening up many options for his teammates and winning many of the midfield battles for possession. Port Moody’s best chance came off a long range deflected shot that Abbotsford keeper Mark Village had to adjust to and tip over the bar at the last second, preserving the shutout. The game was scoreless following the first 45 minutes.

With the start of the second half, it was clear the Abbotsford team wanted the win more than the Port Moody squad. Despite the constant rain, the locals continued outworking their opponents and created several more chances although were not able to break the deadlock. In the 67th minute, a Port Moody corner kick became the turning point in the match. Koby Byrne headed clear the Port Moody cross with the ball landing at the feet of a Port Moody player. Defender Sukh Dhaliwal then won the battle for the ball and spotted striker Justin Sekhon making a run down the field. Dhaliwal’s perfectly placed pass landed at Sekhon’s feet who was then able to beat two Port Moody defenders and hammered a shot past the Port Moody keeper, off the post and in for the game’s first goal.

Finding themselves with their backs against the walls, Port Moody worked hard for the tying goal. The Abbotsford defence bent but never broke as they stepped up and kept the ball out of harm’s way. Central defenders Ravi Singh and Sahib Phagura consistently won battles in the air and on the ground helping keep the Port Moody offence at bay. In the 81st minute, another counter attack found Colton O’Neill hooking up with Sekhon who had created some space for himself between Port Moody defenders. Despite being fouled in the penalty area, Sekhon maintained his balance and cracked another low hard shot past the Port Moody keeper sealing the victory.

Following the game, Justin Sekhon was selected MVP for the match and the rest of the squad celebrated their second big Cup win. The Soccer City Cup is the League Cup for the Fraser Valley Premier Men’s League. Next up for the Abbotsford team is their first game in the Provincial Cup playdowns where they’ll meet FC Columbus in Vancouver.

For more on the Abbotsford Mariners Football Club please use the link in our Sports Directory or simply click here.

Leave a Reply