By George Evens. New – Seniors’ Advocate coming to Mission Seniors’ Centre, Friday May 30, 2014 at 1:00pm to 3:00pm, 33100 10th Avenue. to Open Seniors’ Week festivities. Come out to welcome Isobel MacKenzie & learn about this new role (*) read end of Newsletter to understand Elder Citizen Action Coalition (ECAC) perspective…..
“News To You Newsletter”
“A Reputation for Honesty, Integrity, Persistence, Forthright & Honourable”
“Dedicated to seeking and speaking the truth in the face of injustice – perceived or real”
“We bring a strong, loud voice to the thoughts of millions who do not speak for themselves but share our values”
Publishing facts for a discerning public since 1988. Sometimes provocative to stimulate discussion, occasionally “devil’s advocate”, always factual, representing public interests, public opinion and a sincere, informed & forthright approach, that ignoring is at one’s own peril. We have the strength of conviction and courage to do the right thing; no “sacred cows” and “we do not suffer fools lightly” Helping form the Canadian mosaic & conscience.
Edmund Burke offered “Evil will flourish when good men and women stand by and do nothing”
Mohandas Gandhi said, ”The Greatness of a Nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its Animals are treated”.
Margaret Mead said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has”.
Ask yourself, “why don’t I speak-out”? Maybe too conservative and do not like to draw attention; maybe too scared and fear repercussions; maybe too comfortable, so why help others; maybe too indifferent so who cares about others? Fear not, The Council Advocacy & ECAC via “News To You Newsletters” will speak publicly for you in all matters of civic, political, health, seniors’ or Animal cruelty & welfare issues BUT, in return we need your individual & collective VOTES to elect Municipal Councils, Premiers & Federal Governments that will respond to our demands for improved lives of Canadians.
Dear Prime Minister, MP, Premier, MLA, Opposition Party Leaders, Publishers, Editors, Reporters, Columnists, Talk Show Hosts, Mayors & Councillors, Dr. Nigel Murray, CEO/FHA, Mr. David Black, President/CEO Black Press, Police Boards/Assn/Commissioner/Chiefs, Political Associations, Seniors’ Associations, Seniors’ & General Public:
“IN THIS EDITION” – “SUPER BUGS” can harm our families BUT we witness Drug Companies placing profit over human health of our families and suggests we may be entering a “post Anti-Biotic era” November 2014 MUNICIPAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN NOW UNDERWAY – SENIORS’ HOLD THE “BALANCE OF POWER” TO ELECT NEW Mayors & Councils!Seniors’ getting organized and ”banding together to fight”; Seniors’ health improves with a Pet, read our Part-two story
Rallying Call “Unity in Challenging Times” rings across the land as the ‘sleeping giant’ “Silver Psunami” responds to Seniors’ needs
SENIORS’ MATTER – “It is time for all to shake hands”
Challenge to YOU – One of the most important lessons ALL SENIORS’ need to learn and start to practice is to work together toward common goals. Spoken from my vantage point to all Seniors’ at the start of a new year. I believe,” The significant challenge to all Seniors’ and by extension Seniors’ Organizations, like major groups, such as CARP or COSCO who boast thousands of members and many affiliates, is for all of us to harness our collective energies and influences”. To incorporate into our respective objectives/goals/values a genuine willingness to advocate unequivocally, possibly several major initiatives &avenues, to achieve a common good for all Seniors’. Simply, to be amenable to focus our individual and collective might to support a Seniors’ issue that may fall outside our self-interests..
- Advocacy for Seniors’ needs must broach the “political terms of office, notably 4 year terms”, wherein the first 2-3 years, notably first two, Government make all the “tough mean-spirited decisions, think Ferry fares, appointment of Seniors’ Advocate” that impact most drastically upon the lives of Seniors’, then during last 1 or 2 years in office try to “buy back” favour by giving minor handouts.We must develop a persistence, to never accept “NO” as the final answer., rather the beginning of our mutual quest. We will be undaunted in our quest, but equally we may take on a more assertive or pro-active role, at times. Thus, we must become recognized as a force & power to reckon with politically. To this end, we must share the conviction to be unrelenting, prepared to picket, boycott, write Letters to The Editor and do all within our collective efforts.
- “if a fool can muster sufficient votes, he/she can be elected/re-elected”, so exercise your VOTE, do your due diligence about Candidates and VOTE wisely, not as an uninformed follower. Support Candidates who support Seniors’.
“SOME POLITICAL THOUGHTS FOR YOU TO CONSIDER”
Since 1995 I and other worldwide Animal Advocates have warned of various issues but successive Governments (controlled Scientists) have ignored, diverted attention and caused their own “spin” to effectively lie to the Public and to hide truths. Many in the Media seem to have been complicit insofar as Investigative Journalism and the expose Documentary, have been fleeting, with notable exceptions. The recent Frontline Documentary on “Fracking” or dealing with “Super Bugs”, to recent Mercy Investigation into Pig cruelty featured on W-5, to abuses at Chicken/Turkey processors, the shocking expose’ on “Sand” among other important topics, are not widely advertised, so a massive void of information and facts is withheld from the Public. In part, may be an attempt to not (worry) the Public but so much abuse/harm is being created, frankly, it iks overwhelming.
Since 1995 I and other Advocates have raised awareness about “Mad Cow Disease” to at every turn, have Government deny any possibility that disease could spread from one species to another, such as Sheep scapies to Cattle, yet, lo and behold the advent of major world-wide outbreaks of yes, you guessed it, “Mad Cow Disease”, near decimating the Cattle industry, to this day. In the same vein, we have alerted Government about possible advent of “Super Bugs” as a result of continuing over-use of anti-biotics in Factory Farm Animals and over prescribed to Humans, with expected Government denial and ignoring the issue, until, yes, again now the world-wide alarm and pending panic at family deaths from once benign forms of Bacteria’s and no anti-biotic’s to remedy.Read http://www.theatlantic.com/health/print/2014/04/world-healthorganization-and-drug-resistance/361450/
The issues abound, such as Open-Net Fish Farming in BC waters affecting wild stocks, that a solution exists, such as self-contained inland fish farms and we allude to many issues in our subsequent and past News To You Newsletters. Yet the perpetuation of immense greed inspired policies and (weakened) Legislation/ACTS persists, almost unabated, with Government lying out of ‘both sides of their (collective) mouths”, either out of the most extreme ignorance, or is it indifference or is a “greed” inspired motivation permeating all political parties and a near totally impotent Media, possibly a by-product of conglomerate ownership denying the Public crucial information? It is perceived Government stifling Scientists persists and the “Whistleblower” is not recognized for (their) major importance to the Public and World-wide education pertaining to (specific) issues they go public about but instead of persecution the “Whistleblower” deserves a medal and encouragement, to protect public interests and hold Politicians feet to the fire, from the very Government we elect to provide, a “Government for the People by the People”. Recent attempts, in part thwarted, causing the Government to weaken their “Fair Election Act”, atrocious legislation proposed and successfully challenged.
A major point we make is, there are actually people who have no interest or care about Humans or Animals Health and well-being, for example, just a massive narrow focused greed inspired bent to make money at any cost. Yes and too many seemingly, in Government, who subscribe to this ilk and thus amend Legislation to abandon any infrastructure to deal with issues raised, to stifle political expression, such as found in lack of resolve or Legislation, to control “Fracking, use of Sand, Water, failure to Inspect adequately Farm food Animals, open-net Fish Farms and on and on”, with little to no improvement on the horizon or is there?
George F. Evens is the featured Senior in October 31, 2013 Edition that you can refer to as a base, then each month a new Senior will be featured in Editions of Seniors 55 Plus. Here is a link to the Mission Seniors’ Living 55 Plus, published in the Mission City Record, the last Friday monthly. The e-edition is available at http://www.missioncityrecord.com/eeditions/
“EDITORIALLY SPEAKING OF COURSE” BUT–
- HOMELESS & MENTAL ILLNESS DEMANDS RESPECT and those in (power) who lack compassion and empathy, or the simple gesture to be respectful, ought to be turfed out of office, as unbecoming stewards of decency and respect fo fellow humans and their Pets.
o Pertaining to “Homeless” the key is working with (them), compassion, innovation, high priority to housing first.
o Pertaining to “Mental Health”, it is crucial to identify as a lifelong issue, not stopping upon age 19 years. Thus, regardless of source of Mental Health Patient, whether from Government Foster Care or otherwise, the individual must be assured of continuing care, as required to meet needs and continuity of care, treated as an individual.
“DELIBERATELY STUPID AWARD”
This ‘infamous’ increasingly popular broad category distinction, the recognized recipients are the most deserving, the misguided, arrogant, self-centered & truly ignorant among us – sadly, the lowest form of Humanity living among us but the “deliberately stupid” category is a truly heartfelt distinction not that many, fortunately, can aspire to & attain this award of being the most repugnant people in the World; People who know better and/or (once) being informed “should know better” but instead make a conscious decision, often greed inspired or self-interest motivation but totally devoid of conscience and often outwardly narcissist or psychopathic behaviours.
- For a second month, now at the TOP of the “stupid” list a three-part related topic, notably is “Anti-Biotic resistant Bacteria” with the World Health Organization (WHO) raising alarm about the severity and impact around the World of this menacing threat to Humans, many dying from simple infections once eradicated by an Anti-Biotic, now some treatment for certain strains is futile, this can impact all of us & our families
I. Government condoning Factory Farms using anti-biotics which is impacting upon creation of “super bugs” and anti-resistance to anti-biotics which is becoming very dangerous for Humans and our ability to combat bacteria’s. An immediate order to STOP using anti-biotics in Animals is desperately needed now!
II. Governments (around the World) failure to appoint a singular & co-ordinated approach Ministry to research, develop, administer and control new Anti-Biotic medicines, to eradicate outbreaks of Gram Negative Bacteria and “super-bugs” by any other name
III. Government, Boards of Directors & CEO and Shareholders of Pharmaceutical Companies who adopt “Port Folio Management decisions over the well-being and health of Humans”, extreme greed inspired and essentially condoning crimes against humanity, no matter how you care to look at or rationalize matters, this repugnant mentality and wrong philosophy must cease.
- “New”- “FRACKING”, a horrendous abuse of Water resources, air quality, land and Human Health, that (some) US Politicians have actually lobbied successfully to remove from former established protections (ACTS),under the guise of needed oil resources, that some “brain-dead” leaders under promise of wealth attainment and seeking gas products from shale rock beneath the land, abandoned all common sense and caring about HUMAN HEALTH or excessive waste of water, pollutants, they condone and perpetuate abuses beyond comprehension. Simply placing attainment of gas from shale, “Fracking” is more important than Human Health. Simply, it is one thign to recognize the need for gas resources but to abolish protections so that an Oil Company can plunder resources with no conscience for harm created, to abolish any public initiatives to seek justice in return and do anthing without fear of reprisal, to be transparent nor accountalble, just a “free ticket” to ride at their discretion.
- “Conservative ATTACK ADS”, still a high worry going into a third month, one of the most repugnant and devisive, lowest form of politicking, can’t think of words other than insane or desperation to describe such ineptness and for certain, authors of such vile ads ought to be expelled immediately in a small gesture to restore civility to parliament. This form of extreme panic must be abandoned and people who could stoop so low have no place in our political system that has been eroding to become the laughing stock of world powers
- BC Government wrongly adopted BILL 4, simply to permit Industrial “research” into BC Parks. This is a similar process as Federal Government stages to eliminate obstacles, to furthering their ideological will, which in this instance is likely furthering pipeline expansion through parks. While we would dearly like to witness some good, environmentally sound thinking, we recognize the philosophy is more “fly by seat of pants and further ideological goals” that at least, maybe if Canadians start to elect more competent Politicians and/or we, as informed and concerned Canadians speak-out and/or act, petition and so forth, maybe in hindsight, Politicians may act wisely to rescind some poor legislation, like get rid of the Bill 4.
- Several utterly “stupid” issues share the spotlight for a third month,
- BC Government arbitrary decision to change Municipal Council term to 4 years, such utter stupidity without even a referendum to ask the Voters opinion. Many of the current Mayors & Council remaining 4 years, when they should have been gone in maybe two, at present? We need a “Rob Ford Clause” to rid each level of unacceptable politician. Rethink this silly notion and abandon process to adopt 4 years, regardless of vain and frivolous reasons that have no credibility, at best.
- Government failure to abandon use and prohibit pesticides that are killing our BEE populations.
- Government failure to prohibit “Trophy Hunting” and in particular “Grizzly Bear hunts” or repugnant ‘Seal Hunts” is perpetuating cruel and inhumane treatment and death of many wonderful wild life creatures, to make a “buck” and is symptomatic of extreme ignorance & no sensitivity. Sustainability is not the criteria to proceed, rather cruel and inhumane killing for sport is the dilemma, thus sensible and compassionate goals are criteria to be met
- Government and Boards of Director or CEO of varied Companies who knowingly lobby and/or to omit Legislation that is in place to protect interests of the World Communities, from Humans to Animals to Water species, Habitats, Environment, Water, Air & Lands but not limited to these alone, whereas Legislation was/is set forth in best interests but certain (Individuals) will seek to make profit at any cost and cost to any thing, greed inspired and self-interest motivated, with no thought or caring toward others, who in manifesting their greed cause irreparable harm or injury, thus Legislation is required immediately to prevent, to restore and to penalize those found guilty of perpetuating crimes against Humanity, imposed retroactively, upon elected Politicians, Boards, CEO and Companies guilty of deemed infractions, offences that while excluded from appropriate enforcement did not meet due diligence tests, rather were subject to willful and manipulation by persons in authority who exceeded authority and collusion to divert protections, to instead to manifest in harm to recipients intended to be protected by former legislation.
- initially, must not be condoned and thus a severe penalty imposed for any violation, ranging from million dollar+ fine to individuals to multi-billion dollar fines to Companies. Other positions may be added to those mentioned and issues deemed requiring regulation.
- initially, all infractions need to be stipulated, perpetrators identified and selected for prosecution, shall include but not be limited to “approvals to eliminate legislation governing “Fracking”, from former established penalties covered under but not limited to “Water or Environmental Protection Acts”; “Drug Manufacturing”, decisions to cease ongoing Research and Development or Manufacture of effective Anti-Biotic drugs to eradicate all forms of bacterial infections;
- In all instances, a civic oversight department needs to be created, to investigate with full enforcement powers and in doing so adopt the philosophy “Human, Animal, Land, Air, Water health take precedence over so-called “Port Folio Management decisions” implying ‘Stakeholder Investors take precedence over all else, fundamental principles that must be paramount in the World markets & Governments.
- critical steps must be established, as priorities, like rebuilding trust, respect, empathy and lawful enforcement Therefore, honesty and good character must be the goals to be accepted.
- In all instances restitution to Victims for all damages or costs to property, livestock, humans; ongoing free medical care & attention
Some further issues warranting a second look, as mentioning once may not impress nor reach a large enough audfience, include
- Federal Government plan to reduce Health Care transfer payment from 6.0% to 3.0%at a time of increasing needs but on the positive, another nail in the coffin of not being re-elected, as Citizens continue to be ignored and offended
- Provincial Government plans to increase Ferry Rates, MSP premiums and complicity in BC Hydro rate increases, rather than innovative plans that would realize reductions in rates. This perpetuation of increased cost, particularly to fixed-income residents is repugnant and indeed is a self-inflicted wound to a Government devoid of caring about families, less fortunate and a further reason to retract voting support.
- BC Government Bill 24 Agriculture Land Reserve (ALR) proposed changes, with the intent to “reduce independence of Agriculture Land Commission (ALC)” begs a second look and some sane decision making beyond political ideology motivations by apparently inept body undertaking the current review – stop and start again with honourable objectives to strengthen this important Act.
- Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) epitomizes the phrase, “ oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive” an estimated 12 Countries participating, a Free Trade area covering much of the Pacific Rim. Fear exists toward censoring content of one component to centralize control over Internet, what you can watch and share online. For more information view the “Stop the secrecy plan” at https://stopthesecrecy.net. US President & Canada Prime Minister need to rethink their role in this potential travesty and start to represent the democratic entitlement of Citizens, stop “TPP” in present form.
- The North Pacific Humpback Whale protections downgraded by Federal Government is not only wrong but a retrograde step to further Government interests in Oil transport. Thus, this insane decision ought to be reverses and protections continue under SARA as a “threatened species”. Further, individuals manufacturing this travesty ought to be terminated for ineptness and misleading Canada to achieve Government and Oil Companies self-interests, not meeting objectives of their respective position to protect species & habitats, thus, to have such lack of conviction to do what is right thus exacerbating public perceptions toward Government as lacking confidence and trust in Government judgment and decision making. Hence, people in Government agencies that, instead of observing principles and good judgment, succumb to “stupidity” and make decisions along some ideology inspired Government platform, deserve to be terminated at not fulfilling their departmental mandates and indeed expectation of Canadians, who demand protections of our land, air, water and species that habitat same. Thus, placing oil interests above whale protection is repugnant, at best.
- Genetically Modified (GMO) Foods – “If there is no risk and nothing to hide, label foods as GMO”. A GMO label ought to specify what has been done to the original product, why, how it was altered and why? Indeed, if Food & Drugh Administration Agencies have4 approved safe use, the Consumer can trust the product – right?
- Chicken poop, a protein fed to food Animals and by extension Humans eat. However feces is laden with bacteria and this can make us sick but we have anti-biotics – wait, we may not? As well, feeding chicken poop which may contain beef protein fed to chickens, that not fed to Cattle, for example, by extension chicken poop can be fed to Cattle, hence Humans may be eating sources of “Mad Cow disease” from the beef proteins. While we are led to believe not a Canadian worry, the jury is still out but we do not feel at ease about any products imported from say the US, where this chicken protein pellet is used.
- Government who perpetuate the senseless and antiquated need to “use live Animals for testing and training”, retrograde practices that must cease immediately.
- Medical practitioners who fail to provide “best” treatment to Patients in favour of less expensive and inferior tests, such as “treadmill to assess heart conditions, instead of more effective heart imagining and use of radioactive injection; Mamogram instead of more effective Ultra Sound but it is the principle moreso, we develop better ways but then don’t use them, using cost, just as the CEO of a Pharmaceutical company justifies not addressing health needs of all because of a morally repugnant “port folio management” giving preference to Shareholders over people in need, that will witness abandoning anti-biotic development, which may in due course cause many unnecessary deaths and seemingly Government sit idly by and watch, again a state in civilization progress or is it ultimate greed inspired selfish self-important needs and wants of the small minority, that often live off the hardships of less fortunate like the so-called “slum landlord” another blight on Society,
- Spousal violence, Child abuse & neglect perpetuated by senseless (Politicians) that is the face of numerous solutions seek to exacerbate resolution out of sheer ignorance and negligence, resulting in totally unnecessary pain and suffering because, in large part, a lack of “political will” to do what is needed and right, to increase the severity of enforcement, reporting and punishment. The Public witness time after time, the efforts by Child & Family Advocate, to bring remedy and the negative Government refrain to act with good conscience, such as current efforts pertaining to Computer Records. Indeed, the same ignorant mind-set exists in vain attempts to deal effectively with Teachers and the endless bafflegab, “spin” and futile rhetoric. Sadly, we seem to be dealing with an ilk, too many in existence currently, that are near totally misdirected and lacking resolve and conviction but possibly the near total lack of competence to proceed effectively, so they offer “bafflegab” to retain status-quo.
- Government failures to effectively address “Climate change” and its many components, such as, “Rising Ocean Acidic water”, causing marine die offs like recent Scallop die-off. Proven Human caused carbon dioxide emissions in atmosphere are being absorbed by the Oceans
“IN MY OPINION” – The “Political” future is unfolding with cautiously optimistic opportunities
- “In my opinion” I am inclined to believe Chris Turner new book “The war on science” when he concludes “Canada is becoming a ‘narrow, mean place’, a Country “where policy determines the facts and evidence is shaped to fit political goals”, Like myself, “I hope this revelation makes every Canadian angry”? One fundamental error by the Government was elimination of the vast array of facts needed, by their elimination the long-form census but as we lift the veil, we may find an increasing number of similar retrograde steps to eliminate infrastructures needed by Canadians, not unlike the V.P in US spearheading the elimination of Public protections covered under Acts, such as Water Act and massive harm now being caused to Humans, Animals, Water, Land & Air by “Fracking” unregulated and no Public recourse, as we perceived being orchestrated in Canada by similar wrong actions by Government, now coming to public attention and increasing public protests. Simple & fundamental change is needed, to “Political Parties & System”, abandoning “Leader dictatorship” and “creating effective Recall”, reinstating the Constituent as the primary beneficiary.
- “In my opinion”, I believe “COMMUNICATION” skills are the key to success and” TRUST” is the Biggest issue. To this end, Canadians are likely to VOTE Centre-Right next Federal election 2015 and it is perceived the Liberals will move quickly to solidify their position accordingly. Justin Trudeau is perceived a man of “depth, substance and principle” albeit current perceptions may indicate still a little immature as a statesperson but he can be allowed some unintentional indiscretions, in this vein, as not mean-spirited nor malicious in nature, and time will develop skills and maturity needed. By contrast, Stephen Harper has been touted as a “man of depth, substance & principle” but sadly, epitomizes failure to strengthen and create an inclusive Canada.
- In my Opinion, Government is perpetuating the lack of trust Canadians have in Government, that, for example as far back as 1995 when I and other Advocates raised alarm about “Mad Cow Disease’ and were lied to, that “no, Sheep “scapies” were not being fed to Cattle” but lo and behold what emerged and near decimated Cattle industry, right, “Mad Cow disease”. Around the same time we alerted Governments to prohibit use of anti-biotics in Farm Animals, again dismissed and told “not to worry” but now, coupled with an alarming lack of diligence by Doctors among others, the excessive and unnecessary use of anti-biotics for near everything, including untreatable virus, we witnessed a compounding of anti-biotic uses and yes, now “Super Bugs” but sadly, thus far, noone is held accountable, a process we have recommended change and some Government and others suffer enforcement & penalty. We extend to this list Boards & CEO, as stated elsewhere, of Pharmaceutical Companies, who are maliciously failing Canadians by adopting a “Port Folio Management decision” process, placing all Canadians at risk and we submit this malicious and aforethought known outcome is an act against Humanity and deserves the fullest extent of prosecution under the law, as this mindset and dereliction of trust and responsibility must not go unresolved.
- In my Opinion, one of the most galling and annoying aspects of Politics, in addition to the perceived “Entitlement” belief of many, is the low ebb of Public trust and confidence, the feeling by same Politicians “they can do what they want because they can” mentality, presumably unchallenged but even a small success like (recently) having BC Politicians post online receipts/expenses monthly or the Federal Government amend some atrocious “Fair Election Act” proposals is a small gesture of regaining some accountability and transparency but a long way to go still. The other facts are the galling belief by so many, “if they say it, it is true, trust me”, which given circumstances, this is folly, at best. But given the entitlement and power of forming a majority Government combined with the “dictatorial” entitlement Leaders assume, the off maligned “mandate” is tossed out frequently, but in fact, is a misnomer to the Public/Voter other than the Public is, like actions by current Federal Government, who stifle Scientists and others, eliminate infrastructures and so forth, in some vein attempt to solidify their power along ideological and party line, to the chagrin of the vast majority of Canadians. But because of such apathy and indifference by too many, failure to speak-out, challenge or protest, we give entitlement to poor leadership and must, on the surface, succumb to their will.
“LEARNING PAGE” – recognizing Seniors’ Health will be improved by becoming Guardians of a Companion Animal pet, notably Cats, read our two-part story in the www.abbotsfordtoday.ca online news
FOCUS MISSION & ABBOTSFORD ELECTION NOVEMBER 2014
“We are only limited by the Imagination, Vision & Competence of our Leaders”
- The Mission “CRMG Slate” came to Mission but after a transitionary two years, stabilizing of core services/Budget at no increase, the “Slate developed serious cracks, Campaign Manager and four (4) Councillors resigned from CRMG, the Mayor’s ineptness and Councils general demeanour started to strain and has imploded.
- Mission VOTERS need to carefully select a new Mayor & Councillors but two crucial aspects of the election are obvious
- Seniors’ hold the balance of power and if we band together we will elect the new Council
- Seniors’ VOTE, thus watch News To You Newsletter and follow The Elder Citizens Action Coalition guidance.
- Several issues stand out this election, included but are not limited to (refer #3 and #4 below)
- To borrow up to $ 50,000.00 to renovate & upgrade the Dog Pound and to add a new structure to accommodate Cats as a shelter, in so doing, establish a minimum $ 85,000.00 annual operating Budget for Cat Control.
- To (consider) borrowing up to $ 6 million dollars to build a cement slab structure, Parkade, Seniors’ Activity Centre on District owned land adjacent the Leisure Centre, including Seniors’ Housing from 300-600 sq ft to other low-cost and market value housing, in close proximity to the exercise and amenities of the Leisure Centre, on a Bus route and parking
The Seniors’ Centre Task Force completed its review and made several recommendations, which we are essentially in agreement with per se, except we vehemently oppose, “reference to likelihood it may take several more years to see the centre built” which flies in the face of some 6-8 years already lost by former Council indifference, which has witnessed too many Seniors’ not being able to enjoy a facility in their lifetime, many having died, illness or disillusionment but enough is enough, we say, so an expedited process and development is demanded, that more Seniors’ will enjoy the facilities within their lifetime. Candidates for Council ought to place this need as a high priority in their election campaign platform.One potentially viable alternative site would be to incorporate a Seniors’ Activity Centre into a vital and dynamic Civic Centre downtown redevelopment at old Buy-Low site, now District owned property.
What do Politicians like the most about VOTERS? Given most (Politicians) have an established group of “follow at any cost mentality supporters”, they love to witness low voter turnout, a thriving apathy and when the eligible VOTERS become aroused, seek “change” and a higher voter turn-out is anticipated, we occasionally find the “weak leave the sinking ship and not seek re-election”.
Last election witnessed 7363 voters (30.0%) permitting riddance of Mayor Atebe and most of Council. This was up from 2008 – 5681 voters (25.1%). So the question may be, can we increase voter turnout to ensure a change? Why yes we can, if you get involved NOW and start by listening to ECAC!
- Election Issue – Mission Council have joined Fraser Health Authority to impose pay parking at Mission Memorial Hospital in 5 years. This must prompt expansion of ongoing (current) protest to eliminate pay parking at Hospitals, by adding a protest to prohibit FHA & Mission Council from proceeding with an agreement to add MMH to the list of Hospital charging (unacceptable) parking fees. Ask each incumbent what they will do to change this decision, anyone not agreeing to stop this travesty does not deserve a VOTE.
MISSION “ELECTION 2014” – Are Mission & Abbotsford Councils performing, who is/who is not? It is time to start planning our ‘election campaign’ to attract, if needed, a (New Mayor & Council). CRMG (Mission) identified the successful process, a needed (SLATE) approach & typical campaign to achieve a renewal of Council, so let’s make more wise Candidate choices but the campaign process is before us. Will CRMG (Abbotsford) be fielding Candidates? Are any incumbents at Mission or Abbotsford not running for re-election? Seniors’ hold the balance of (votes) to elect a new Council.
- “New Feature” – “What ever happened” – to City of Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts political plans. Rumour, rubbing shoulders with former Minister Stockwell Day and joining dots may witness Dianne appearing as a Conservative Candidate but as Prime Minister Harper may lose majority, would she welcome being a backbencher Tory in opposition, benefits may entice though? A best bet would be join Liberals and likely be a Minister in new Government. – BCNDP new Leader John Horgan, with a 34 seat opposition, not exactly a “disasterous loss” but the “spin” has been to play down the success achieved by NDP in last election, only really losing due to some 11 or so Green Candidates “stealing votes from NDP and result was a loss”, otherwise NDP would be now sitting BC Government, albeit hard for Media to understand. John Horgan a good leadership choice with an apparent solidaritary of party. – Abbotsford Homeless may be helped with new Dignitarian Society but isn’t this the third group formed but if pro-active may provide needed leadership and co-ordination of process and get results.
Some Important dates to remember
- Thursday SEPTEMBER 4, 2014, 10:30am (no meetings June, July & August), Mission Seniors Centre Association- meeting at Mission Community Activity Centre ALL SENIORS’ are encouraged to attend this meeting – JOIN or RENEW MSCA ($10 Annual dues – help plan activities – YOUR SENIOR VOICE, LEADERSHIP, SUPPORT & WISDOM is needed more than ever NOW! VOLUNTEERS are needed.
- Elder Abuse Awareness Day June 15, 2014
Note: Please email me any important Seniors’ dates throughout the year, that recognize any Seniors’ accomplishment or issues.
Some Important web.sites to become aware of & informed about Seniors’ issues
- The Elder Citizen Action Coalition – www.thecouncilclaw.ca ‘click’ CONTENTS. The pro-active, private owned & operated “cutting-edge Leadership for Seniors’ in Canada” – Seniors’ unite & organize; NOW on ECAC site, 23 pictures of the impressive “New” Pitt Meadows Seniors’ Activity Centre (adjoining “The Wesbrooke Seniors’Living Community”
- District of Mission – www.mission.ca –watch Council meetings in progress LIVE VIA WEB CAST or check back anytime to view any topic or issues; post comments on Mission Voice Community Facebook www.facebook.com/missionvoice
- COSCO “Council of Seniors Citizens’ Organizations” www.coscobc.ca – 80 affiliated organizations; 85,000 senior members – The “Joys & Tears Conference” notes now posted – Possibly your Association should join COSCO?
- Mission Seniors’ Activity Centre new web.site www.missionseniorscentre.com – ALL SENIORS’ 55+ years of age should consider joining MSCA
- CARP “ – A new vision of aging for Canada www.carp.ca – 60 Chapters, email@example.com Possibly your Association may benefit joining CARP?
(*) The Elder Citizen Action Coalition (ECAC) are strong proponents to have a Seniors’ Advocate retained as an Independent Officer of the Legislature, such as Children’s & Family Advocate or Ombudsperson. Seniors’ represent approximately 700,000 voters & taxpayers for a life time, so the need exists for an independent role to represent these major interests and needs. While need covers many areas, focusing under direction of a Health Minister is too narrow.