From George F. Evens. “News to You” is the informed source of Public Opinion, the place (Leaders) and discerning Citizens look for facts and (true) public opinions. “Brought to you by popular Public Opinion representing Public Interests”, the overwhelming desired “new face of Politics” and the new “World Order”.
No decisions based upon political ideology only scientific proof & facts; no party-line, only apolitical impartial opinion; no religious doctrines, a clear separation of religion and state; support for free enterprise & reasonable income & profits but frown upon usury practices, greed inspired excessive profits and tax dodging people or corporations. A Canadian perspective and Canadian first focus, what is best for Canadians?; No laissez-Faire politics, instead effective “Regulations” to eliminate massive abuses non-regulations encourage and spawn, as sadly most are inspired by greed; a move to proportional representation politics”
v “A Reputation for Honesty, Integrity, Persistence, Forthright & Honourable”
v “Dedicated to seeking and speaking the truth in the face of injustice – perceived or real”
v “We bring a strong, loud voice to the thoughts of millions who do not speak for themselves but share our values”
v Publishing facts for a discerning public since 1988. Sometimes provocative to stimulate discussion, occasionally “devil’s advocate”, always factual, representing public interests, public opinion and a sincere, informed & forthright approach, that ignoring is at one’s own peril. We have the strength of conviction and courage to do the right thing; no “sacred cows” and “we do not suffer fools lightly”. Helping form the Canadian culture, mosaic & conscience.
v There is no Solicitation intended and we provide opinion on a wide ranging number of topics, many that are under-reported and thus a massive lack of knowledge exists, that we, as possible try to impart facts to you that you may be better informed to get involved and improve the World we all live in. Opinions are as permitted under the Charter of Rights & Freedoms, “Fundamental Freedoms, such as freedom of conscience, thought, belief, opinion and expression, freedom of the press and other media of communication, freedom of association”.
* While most of you have been receiving our “News To You” as far back as 1988 in the belief you are keen on knowing (facts) and most subscribe & support (opinions) albeit (some) may be remiss or unwilling to “speak-out”, so, in part, may rely upon our forthright approach to represent you.
“IN THIS EDITION” – First and foremost, all Canadians need to agree & focus attention on being good “Citizens” and secondly, “Good Citizens” pay “Taxes” and “VOTE” but equally, if not greater. the wide range of services that money provides, from health care, policing, environmental protections, roads, transit, funding for arts, animal welfare, education and much more – to regain status as a “full Citizen” is our common and collective goal of all Canadians and thus, we are not merely taxpayers or voters, we are to be called Citizens..
· The phenomenon called “Justin Trudeau” is here and from all accounts is only going to become stronger in the minds of Canadians. A new Liberal (minority) Government (likely) coming in 2015 (maybe majority) as Canadians desire change in this cyclical process and NOTHING CAN STOP PROGRESS ONCE CHANGE BECOMES THE “BUZZ’ WORD. Canadians are poised to embark upon their version of Camelot, the players are lining up and like the Kennedy reign of days gone by, the Trudeau reign is forecast for 2015 election.
· “NEW” Abbotsford First Electoral party is underway and with a strong Mayoral candidate can form most of the next Abbotsford Council.
· At “Mission” Seniors’, Animal Lovers & caring Residents deserve (LUCK) in their lives, so don’t tempt fate, elect TONY LUCK, MAYOR, District of Mission…..Who would I vote for, read list of Candidates below, near the end of this edition, in Election 2014 section…
Finally a “new beginning” is upon Citizens at Mission & Abbotsford. Candidates and declaring and to assist the 10,000 Seniors’ at Mission, to start, we picked those felt best to “carry the ball to touchdown success for all, notably Seniors’ at Mission”. Our first choice for Mission, include Tony Luck, Mayor, Councillors Pam Alexis, Jeff Jewell, Rhett Nicholson, Danny Plecas, Carol Hamilton + 1 undetermined. At Abbotsford, we prefer Henry Braun, Mayor, Councillors, Abbotsford First Electoral Party slate, Dave Loewen + 2 undetermined.
· The November 15, 2014 MUNICIPAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN IS NOW UNDERWAY – SENIORS’ HOLD THE “BALANCE OF POWER” TO ELECT NEW Mayors & Councils!
· Defining “Advocacy” & (cousin) Activist, desperately needed to combat moribund & inept Government, so-called “Leaders”;
· Many Municipalities, Cities and Organizations are “BRANDING” themselves, so not a surprise to witness Mission getting onside to do so…Defining Mission’s character relates partly to our Citizens and perceptions some create that perpetuate our bad side…..
· Lorraine Logan, President, Council of Senior Citizen Organizations of BC (COSCO) is Guest speaker at Mission Seniors’ Centre Association Meeting October 2, 2014 monthly meeting. Meeting starts at 10:30am at 33100 10th Avenue…..All Seniors’ 55+ are encouraged to attend and while there, please consider joining MSCA, only $10.00 annual dues. Lorraine is October speaker in the Guest Speaker series presented monthly, designed to create awareness and seek ways to improves the lives of Seniors’.
* Edmund Burke offered “Evil will flourish when good men and women stand by and do nothing”
* Mohandas Gandhi said, ”The Greatness of a Nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its Animals are treated”.
* Margaret Mead said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has”.
* These are some tenets I live by but ask yourself, “why don’t I speak-out”? Maybe too conservative and do not like to draw attention; maybe too scared and fear repercussions; maybe too comfortable, so why help others; maybe too indifferent so who cares about others? Fear not, The Council Advocacy & ECAC via “News To You Newsletters” will speak publicly for you in all matters of civic, political, health, seniors’ or Animal cruelty & welfare issues BUT, in return we need your individual & collective VOTES to elect Municipal Councils, Premiers & Federal Governments that will respond to our demands for improved lives of Canadians.
* Rallying Call “Unity in Challenging Times” rings across the land as the ‘sleeping giant’ “Silver Psunami” responds to Seniors’ needs
SENIORS’ MATTER – “It is time for all to shake hands”
Challenge to YOU – One of the most important lessons ALL SENIORS’ need to learn and start to practice is to work together toward common goals. Spoken from my vantage point to all Seniors’ at the start of a new year. I believe,” The significant challenge to all Seniors’ and by extension Seniors’ Organizations, like major groups, such as CARP or COSCO who boast thousands of members and many affiliates, is for all of us to harness our collective energies and influences”.
“if a fool can muster sufficient votes, he/she can be elected/re-elected”, so exercise your VOTE, do your due diligence about Candidates and VOTE wisely, not as an uninformed follower. Support Candidates who support Seniors’.
“SOME POLITICAL THOUGHTS FOR YOU TO CONSIDER” –
Revisiting Camelot is within the reach of Canadians as the Son, with many of the charasmatic traits of the Father and similar in context and the perspective of the late US President, John F. Kennedy, can solidify a political hold on Canadian politics, as well. Once “Change” is on the mind of Canadians and the momentum starts, there is no turning away from success at the polls. So much just under the surface disenchantment exists that the notion of revitalizing the “Canadian Liberal Party” the party of political choice and positioning by most Canadians, and the youthful and caring Justin Trudeau, Canadians are feeling a euphoria not witnessed in a decade or more. I sensed the Conservative Party fear and desperation upon receipt of a memo from Fred DeLorey, Director of Political Operations for the “Harper Government”. decrying an article by Heather Mallick in the Toronto Star Sunday August 24, 2014 titled “Why Voters like Justin Trudeau” , an interesting perspective worth a read but if difficult to access, just go to Toronto Star web.site, ‘click’ on Columnist and her articles are all listed or enter “article title in search and hit “enter”.
George F. Evens is the featured Senior in October 31, 2013 Edition of Mission Seniors’ Living 55 Plus, that you can refer to as a base, then each month a new Senior will be featured in each Editions of Seniors 55 Plus. Here is a link to the Mission Seniors’ Living 55 Plus, published in the Mission City Record, the last Friday monthly. The e-edition is available at http://www.missioncityrecord.com/eeditions/
“EDITORIALLY SPEAKING OF COURSE” BUT-
· Homelessness is an International predicament many people are finding themselves in today. It, sadly, could happen to you or I or our families, as a result of essentially no fault of our own. It can be manifested in homeless as a result of our misfortune but similarly is exacerbated when additional factors, like Mental illness or self-inflicted Drug Addiction. Too many mistreat people with something different, indeed a stigma against mental illness emerges manifested by some less informed ignorant people. Unfortunately, too many elected in levels of Government seem more inept or outright indifferent to finding solutions and tend to exacerbate the situation and conflict arises, such as at City of Abbotsford “Homeless” dilemma in progress.
o The www.abbotsfordtoday.ca has provided a lengthy and very comprehensive article describing definition, causes, solutions and many ideas as a framework for the Public to work within. The article, a must read for anyone interested in combating the problem and its cause, it is called “Stand down Abbotsford, leave these people alone” and can be accessed at http://www.abbotsfordtoday.ca/stand-down-abbotsford-leave-these-people-alone/
· HOMELESS & MENTAL ILLNESS DEMANDS RESPECT and those in (power) who lack compassion and empathy, or the simple gesture to be respectful, ought to be turfed out of office, as unbecoming stewards of decency and respect to fellow humans and their Pets.
o Pertaining to “Homeless” the key is working with (them), compassion, innovation, high priority to housing first.
o Pertaining to “Mental Health”, it is crucial to identify as a lifelong issue, not stopping upon age 19 years. Thus, regardless of source of Mental Health Patient, whether from Government Foster Care or otherwise, the individual must be assured of continuing care, as required to meet needs and continuity of care, treated as an individual.
o Drug Addiction, may start with “Harm Reduction” but addicts must be granted counselling and facilities to deal with their problems. Governments have been remiss to establish adequate facilities to deal effectively and we witness an endless amount of bafflegab instead of action. Simply, a Health Minister, like most in other portfolios, lacking competence or credibility but equally pro-active mindset to progress, is possibly the major stumbling block, combined with a revolving door scenario of incumbents goes to explaining some of the dilemma the Public face when dealing with incompetence but it sadly manifests in most situations.
o The alarming Teachers labour dispute currently being mishandled, but let me hasten to add, the Teachers are not innocent bystanders and certainly do not place Student first, above their own demands, nor do they or Government involve the Student. Too many little wars and ego inspired dominance and control emerge in the fray that neither the Premier/Minister nor Teachers can compromise their (power egos) to get a fair agreement and the Public and Students are the pawn and suffer most.
“DELIBERATELY STUPID AWARD”
This ‘infamous’ increasingly popular broad category distinction, the recognized recipients are the most deserving, the misguided, arrogant, self-centered & truly ignorant among us – sadly, the lowest form of Humanity living among us but the “deliberately stupid” category is a truly heartfelt distinction not that many, fortunately, can aspire to & attain this award. As well, to include (some) being the most repugnant people in the World; People who know better and/or (once) being informed “should know better” but instead make a conscious decision, often greed inspired or self-interest ideological motivation but totally devoid of conscience and often outwardly narcissist or psychopathic behaviour.
· Government failure to raise the bar and standards to reflect Societies expectations of respect & kindness, as entitled Human or Animal Rights, exacerbated by the moribund (Leaders). Thus prevention and no tolerance of Domestic violence toward spouse or children and by extension, toward sentient-beings Animals, that must be removed from “property” provision of the Criminal Code. Violence must not be tolerated in any form, properly defined with enforcement and penalty provisions dramatically enhanced to meet expectation. By extension, persons in authority, public office or public role models, such as Sports Teams, must receive severe admonishment, loss of position as not befitting that of a (role model).
· Government failure to treat persons at end of live with respect and empathy that would not only assure palliative care as needed but include equally a right to die, by choice, including Doctor assisted suicide, that some lack of “political will or misguided ideology” may be seen to prohibit advancement of these compassionate and needed provisions.
· Abuse of power by Mayor & Council or Police Boards, in the more extreme & (Dictator) scenarios, Military Force & indeed killing Citizens who may be opponents to a regime, but essentially our point is the use of force against Citizens. Sadly, “following orders” is the mandate of some who are unwilling to (protest) wrong-doings and of course, the adrenalin surge of combat excites others. At Abbotsford we are dealing with a situation that was permitted to flounder unattended and unresolved, indifference & ignorance prevail and the Public was betrayed by incompetence. A Police force lacking experience and resolve seemingly jumped at the chance to harass and intimidate less fortunate citizens, accountable to only a Police Board, headed by a Mayor, seems to isolate wrongdoings to City limits but that soon became a falacy and the World was looking at Abbotsford, not unlike the silliness of Mayor Rob Ford, Toronto that went viral. Clearly abuse of power was the defining “straw that broke the camel’s back” and repugnant any time Police or Military force is engaged against Citizens, it is a failure of Community leadership and an abuse of power.
· Jumping into the lead of lunacy perpetuated is the continued debacle over Marijuana (Pot) and recent Government revelations attacking Justin Trudeau for his enlightened view and decision to make (Pot) legal, frankly the only sensible political action to be taken. The long “war on crime” that while initially understandable and ideal in (concept) immediately falls apart in the execution and adoption of regulations, some ideology based, increased incarceration, extremely costly “warehousing” of Criminals, many that should have incurred different penalty, such as “Community Service or Home Arrest” or fines components, versus lengthy costly incarceration. Indeed, any incarceration that does not include a segment of education, counselling, training & re-entry to Society assimilation steps, is redundant & useless. Simply, the penalty must meet the severity of the crime. Thus, Pot ought to be legal and like cigarettes or liquor, include applicable health warnings. That, like “prohibition” of ages gone by & an ignorant mind-set, that sadly still prevails, in some people today, only spawns criminal elements and vast profits for criminals, so review and legalize, as warranted. A similar approach needs to be taken with the likes of Prostitution, as well. But first, identify who the individuals holding back progress are, either terminate bureaucrats or elect politicians of a more astute mind who do not seek to perpetuate mindless error after error for the sake of ideology or lack of vision or innovative ideas. Thus, identify persons conjuring up attempts to, via more attack ads, seek to demean or discredit Justin Trudeau, among others presumably, rid political parties of this ilk and start to act in enlightened mutually respectful manner. One glaring anomaly is the renewed charges against Tim Felger, clearly an injustice and persecution type of law enforcement by, at best, idiots lacking judgment and commonsense, who, at the earliest opportunity ought to be identified and culled from office, as perpetrating the motive of injustice.
· A close second that epitomizes acts against Canadians borderline treasonous, particularly when done from a self-interest and self-serving motivation, under the false guise of our Health Care System “providing health care according to a person’s needs rather than his ability to pay, is unconstitutional. Such lunacy, from a Doctor nonetheless is lunacy, at best and if a successful BC Supreme Court challenge starting September 8, 2014 is successful Canada would become on par with inferior US system because of one fools greed and stupidity.
· Government failure to pay down the debt by any annual budget surplus, instead they start politicking, trying to buy votes by spending surplus , retaining massive debt, and perpetuating debt that next generations will be burdoned by. This ought to be a legislated requirement that all surplus go to pay down debt.
· Government remiss to establish Water as a human right to Canadians and rights are not for sale to anyone under any conditions.
· Government failure to recognize the Ferry System as an extension of the road system. Further, failure to reduce fares to pre-Liberal Government amount in a quest to increase ridership and thus increase profits. This is a fundamental flaw in the business acumen of current government Ministers & Cabinet, to realize increasing fares is not the only solution nor desired and it is this ignorance of simple economics that is most worrisome to Citizens. As well, generally income level is often a deciding factor of reasonable charges that can be accepted by the vast majority of Citizens. This mass increase of most all fees and services, etc., is damaging, in part, to the economy, as those wealthy can absorb and for the most part do so without question. However, most Citizens are currently at or above levels of costs they can absorb and thus, purchases by most are diminishing to most good and services, often foods, luxury items, discretionary spending and so forth, combined with increasing unemployment, hence diminished profits for example, the Ferry fleet, obvious but to the inept and intransigent Minister who just does not understand or get it.
· Government failure to abandon use and prohibit pesticides that are killing our BEE populations.
· Government failure to prohibit “Trophy Hunting” and in particular “Grizzly Bear hunts” or repugnant ‘Seal Hunts” is perpetuating cruel and inhumane treatment and death of many wonderful wild life creatures, to make a “buck” and is symptomatic of extreme ignorance & no sensitivity. Sustainability is not the criteria to proceed, rather cruel and inhumane killing for sport is the dilemma, thus sensible and compassionate goals are criteria to be met
· “Drug Manufacturing”, decisions to cease ongoing Research and Development or Manufacture of effective Anti-Biotic drugs to eradicate all forms of bacterial infections;
· In all instances, a civic oversight department needs to be created, to investigate with full enforcement powers and in doing so adopt the philosophy “Human, Animal, Land, Air, Water health take precedence over so-called “Port Folio Management decisions” implying ‘Stakeholder Investors take precedence over all else, fundamental principles that must be paramount in the World markets & Governments.
· critical steps must be established, as priorities, like rebuilding trust, respect, empathy and lawful enforcement Therefore, honesty and good character must be the goals to be accepted.
· In all instances restitution to Victims for all damages or costs to property, livestock, humans; ongoing free medical care & attention
Some further issues warranting a second look, as mentioning once may not impress nor reach a large enough audience, include
· Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) epitomizes the phrase, “ oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive” an estimated 12 Countries participating, a Free Trade area covering much of the Pacific Rim. Fear exists toward censoring content of one component to centralize control over Internet, what you can watch and share online. For more information view the “Stop the secrecy plan” at https://stopthesecrecy.net. US President & Canada Prime Minister need to rethink their role in this potential travesty and start to represent the democratic entitlement of Citizens, stop “TPP” in present form. The first glaring step missing is public trust and confidence, that we need politicians to be frank about what trade deals are for and where the costs and benefits lie; second, that evidence exists the deal is good and meets needs of Canadians, so deals like CETA and TPP hinge upon credibility and sadly, none exists with current Government or Negotiators, so cynicism prevails and fear at bad deals emerging to the detriment of Canadian jobs, values and culture.
· Government veiled attempts to sneak the Foreign Investment Protection and Promotion Agreement (FIPA)past Canadians in typical secretive manner of this Government. Canadians need to tell MP’s “NO” to adopting FIPA, that like poorly negotiated Free Trade pacts is placing Canada in untenable positions, our Citizens losing jobs to China, India and other third world Countries, creating Canada as a third world Country at near total ineptness of Government and equally inept Negotiators, to the chagrin of voters who once supported this Government.
· While we applaud BC Government appointment of a Seniors’ Advocate per se, we decry the ill-advised approach by the BC Government to create as a member of the Health Ministry, reporting to the Minister, whereas, this must be an independent position, an Independent Officer of the Legislature, such as Child & Family Advocate, Ombudsperson, Auditor General, etc., so we proceed cautiously with support but shall maintain a strong lobby to amend this short-sighted plan. Seniors’ are becoming a “major political force” and it is obvious Government seek to minimize this (threat) to dictatorial government approach, by not permitting Seniors’ a foundation or effective force, hence (controlling budget, authority and independence) in keeping with the perceived micro-managing exuded by sadly, too many inept MLA’s & Leader, who have failed to create effective governance. Michelle Stilwell, is symptomatic of the contempt some display toward Seniors’ issues and, in part, why we have no confidence or trust in Government actions thus far as having any credibility or sincerity of purpose.
· Government failure to address the serious and growing phenomenon and huge dilemma of “unnecessary, unhealthy noises” of all types, in context and perspective to the harm being caused. Unlike the ignorance & indifference, not forgetting self-interest, of too many oft described as the “red neck” among us, noise is serious if it causes sleep deprivation, alienates neighbours, destroys enjoyment of one’s home. It is time for all to realize “because they enjoy noises, like roaaar of dragster, squeal and horns of trains, booooom box or incessantly barking uncontrolled Dog (which illustrates lazy & irresponsible Guardians), noise must be taken more serious as a Community threat;
Everyone must come to realize, noises are harmful, hence, “A fundamental understanding that unnecessary incessant noise is unhealthy, harmful to babies, children and adults alike. Noise in any form is a cause of health concerns, whether as intrusive as a hot tub or air conditioner pump at a neighbours, to increasing disturbance of peace and quiet, including sleep deprivation, by boom box stereos, incessantly barking Dogs, train whistles during quiet of night, noisy mufflers of motorcycles or vehicles, to dragster noise, offensive and useless propane cannons used by more inept Farmers instead of effective bird scare devices, they all culminate in creating health problems, from heart conditions, to hearing loss, to sleep deprivation, to neighbour alienation, to disturbing peace & quiet of one’s home. Government failure to adopt legislation to prohibit unnecessary noises is repugnant and dereliction of duty of an elected person to represent Constituents. A more informed look is needed by all, including use of train whistles at controlled crossing and emergency vehicles during nighttime hours when no traffic present, a fundamental understanding that all such noises are impacting upon a families health”. As well, Citizens need to band together in a common opposition to all unnecessary & unhealthy noises, not as too often occurs, individuals in self-interest selfish mode, try to demean others opposition as not as important as (theirs) implying to condone the other but give sole resolve to their concern (ie; the Citizen disliking train whistles but condoning dragster noise, tries to demean one in his favour and this alienation of too many Citizens plays into the hands of indifferent local Politicians and implications Citizens don’t know what they dislike, due to this lack of common resolve against “all unnecessary unhealthy noises”.
SPAM LAW is overkill, including the scope of the law, the unreasonable heavy penalties, based upon to ambiguous and ill-conceived legislation, too vague and confusing, at best.
Government failure to penalize Guardians who take their Pet out in vehicles, or transport unrestrained or protected in rear of pick-up truck (at any time) but specifically on “HOT DAYS” a Pet can be dead in as little as 10 minutes, Guardians need to be fined a minimum $ 500.00 per Animal, for either infraction and Pets perceived in distress may be rescued, including the breaking of a vehicle window by any rescuer and they absolved from all liability. As well, Government failure to amend the Criminal Code to make “cruelty” a self-evident infraction and no need to prove wilfull, as simply, the obvious condition of cruelty and inhumane actions is self-evident and distress of an Animal self-evident fact. Proclaiming Animals as sentient-beings, capable of feeling & fearing pain must be established and thus removal of Animals as “property” must be abandoned from Legislation.
Government to scrap mandatory withdrawls entirely from RRSP & RIFF’s
Local Fraser Valley Government failure to adequately fund local Humane & Wild Animal refuge centre’s, notably FVRD (specifically lead Community City of Abbotsford) dismal effort to recognize immense value to the Fraser Valley, that Elizabeth’s Wildlife Centre provide, placing near total accountability upon caring Volunteers to fill the massive funding void created by elected Council. Not to be outdone, Mission ignores most needs of Fraser Valley Humane Society – one must ask, “is there something in the Fraser Valley water that creates numbness of compassion”?
· Municipal Mayors & Councillors are the major cause of Animal abuses, overpopulations of Cats, cruelty to Dogs, spawning “puppy & kitten mills”, in part, at failing to adopt effective Bylaws, such as but not limited to, “Basic Care & Handling provisions, no Dog tethering, inadequate specification for shelter/runs and fenced yards; inadequate spay & neuter, that without “Breeding Permit” provision is a weak ineffective bylaw”; the second culprit is Veterinarians, who fail to provide low-cost or free spay & neuter clinics/blitzes to eliminate over population, instead monopoly high costs prevent people from taking action, due to cost, to fix their Pet; the third factor is Humane Shelters failing to commit to taking in unwanted Cats, regardless of their situation, simply, the Public rely upon Volunteer Humane Societies to rescue animals and not be told when mustering effort to catch and take the animals to a Shelter, only to be told, “we are full”, which seriously erodes public confidence, diminishes will to donate which seriously can impact on (budgets revenue) and does not bode well for Government funding to continue and finally too expensive to adopt a Cat (often over $ 100.00), which seems to be exacerbated by the folly of some to try and break-even by charging adoption cost to recoup cost of spay or neuter, tattoo, shots which creates a “catch-22” scenario and further stress upon Volunteers to fund raise, given (some where no Animal Control agreement is in place) Municipal Councils are remiss to adequately fund Humane Societies via fee-for-service-grants what it may cost the Municipality to operate the Shelter.
· Corporations lacking integrity, commitment & loyalty to Canada (or their Country of origin), those “Tax Dodging Corporations” that practice “Corporate Inversions to avoid paying taxes”, must be penalized for tax avoidance measures retro-active ideally, but “plug all loopholes” regulate operations and STOP tax evasion, STOP losing tax dollars out of greed inspired governance by borderline criminal leaders evading tax for self-interest greed.
· Free Trade is a double-edged sword insofar as a minority benefit but most lose, individuals lose vast numbers of everyday good paying jobs to off-shore, think China & India and Corporation make excessive profits (think NIKE runners before free trade retail cost $ 130.00 and after free-trade retail $ 130.00) – Of course, BUT who pocketed the difference, plus apply this logic to most every item imported. BUT course, who lost the Canadian jobs to off-shore? So, Government shell game to deceive the Public thinking Free Trade is good for Canada, but not you.
· Government failure to establish National programs, to deal with “Long Term Care Homes” in safe, compassionate facilities (ie: Saskatchewan Care Home model); Permit Seniors to remain in family homes by providing increased Homeowner Grants, dramatically increased Tax Return Pension deductions beyond current $2000.00 Federal or $ 1000.00 BC, to minimum $ 10,000.00 (Age 65) and $15,000.00 (Age 70); to commence a National dementia care plan, include (effective) components of Denmark experience
· Provincial, Municipalities & Cities failure to establish independent civil “Police Boards” to govern Police, with dramatically improved training methods, including compassionate resolution, dealing with Mentally challenged, Homelessness, eliminate excessive force aspects, particularly “deadly force” and a new commitment to “serve & protect” citizens, not employ (bullying tactics) or sense of immune to public scrutiny pursuing “Police State” venue.
· Government failure to prohibit microbeads or microplastics, resulting in massive amounts building up in Coastal water, eventually entering the Human feed chain via Fish humans eat. Deemed impossible to clean up once in the waterway, these plastics can release toxic chemicals pollutants. ALL miscobeads must be eliminated from ALL products, as they are not necessary.
“New”, In my opinion – The “Political” future is unfolding with cautiously optimistic opportunities
* In my opinion the District of Mission is wise to follow many other Municipalites endeavouring to “BRAND” the “District, BUT the “key” may be who is to objectively and constructively create the process and content that actually and correctly captures “The District of Mission” as is and not a further figment of someone’s imagination about “what the District ought to be”. Too long and too often, the “spin” loses the imagination of residents desires and is focused by self-interest. A short time ago a Consultant aptly described Mission City and many Organizations, as being governed largely by “silos” and I, added “cliques” to further describe Mission in practice and fact. Sadly, the “denial” of the many has restricted Mission progress. Essentially many of the same people keep getting involved, same approach and process, same basic conclusions and hence, the “true Mission character and being has escaped being reshaped and focused, hence the “Branding” may well be the same product in a different wrapper. That is, unless a very wide involvement and input is generated to accurately assess all components, good and bad, so we can work at elimination of bad characterizations, accepting the quality of elected leadership may indeed pale in comparison to needs but an election in November 15, 2014 may change the goal posts and playing field? Aside from further remarks, I will simply identify the process, in part, to arrive at the “Full Brandmark, comprised of Logo + Tagline”. In essence this is fundamently complete now but it may be prudent to revise the “Tag Line component” to a more “active or pro-active description”? Thus the tag line exists as:
* “The District of Mission – On the Fraser”….. more details next month – BUT Mission has a major failing that needs to be addressed, first by a “NEW” Mayor & Council but a total overhaul of all Citizen services to formulate a more inclusive Community. While various studies abound and most gather dust on shelves, the current Downtown/Waterfront revitalization plan demonstrates merit. Similarly the Seniors’ Task Force has produced valuable and practical ideas that need to be implemented now! A new “Civic Downtown Centre” is a crucial ingredient
* Missions perceived character traits leave much to be achieved, from apathetic, indifferent, self-absorbed, lacking awareness & vision, which sadly, has manifested in many of those we elect, to each level of Government and perpetuates this “beautiful environment & small town flair but too many backwoods mentality” . But how do we change a mind-set, rid an ideology, create a sense of pride and wonder at new ideas and vision, get our leaders to accept facts and stop being in denial. In part, we are evolving through old-line thinking, changing political power base, diminished supporters and inaction giving way to a (more) progressive thought and needs approach but an absence of leadership. Hence, “Branding” may be a necessary evolution step. The other component is the lack of Public engagement in most every aspect, with such devices to prevent any attempt at being inclusive. Major protest, impacting on every Citizen (approx. 35,000+ residents). Examples abound but starting with possible closure or MMH “ER” witnessed maybe 300 protesters. Arriving at a Council Budget presentation, impacting upon all taxpayers, the City Hall was packed with maybe 100 people, But following a heartwarming tribute to an ill Citizen, near everyone left, leaving maybe 20 Citizens to comment upon property tax increase and expenditures. Numerous meetings on a host of topics have been held, usually attracting maybe 30-50 Citizens, I think an all-time high 100 maybe attended some downtown development meeting. Council has held several Town Halls but sparsely attended. Indeed, with some 10,000 Seniors’ over 55 years of age, the MSCA sponsored the first in Canada, “Seniors’ Advocate” presentation for Seniors’ Week recently and maybe 30 Senior Citizens attended. We now witness a “Branding” meeting on the Sept. 25th but how many do you feel will attend? By contrast, illustrating the devicive nature, a Citizen wrote a letter decrying “too much noise from Raceway”, but 158 people, mostly echoing what a fine bunch they were, but near all bullying the writer, saying “he should shut up, don’t like the noise move, track was here first (untrue in this case) or how much revenue the Raceway brings to Mission and subsidizes homeowners taxes but this mentality does not spawn an inclusive community. We find, as well, many of the attendees, at many public meetings are the same people; many members at most Seniors’ organization are largely the same people. The main point being, a mere 30% elected our Council, the same voices albeit wonderful that anyone volunteers to any venture, but a very small number, often exercising the same opinion, guide or diminish progress and thus, until significantly more interest and civic engagement increases Citizen participation, Mission is destined to remain largely in a time warp, a divided Community. Mission is in need of curtailing urban sprawl, environmentally and effective development will remain stalled, yet here to, we find practices and self-interest, not venturing forth to support others, hence perpetuating a divided Community. Sadly, even our Business Community expecting “shop locally” emotional expectations by Consumers fails to preach inclusiveness, can be found to support (Council) ventures over Citizens, not do their collective homework what Consumers want and then have audacity to expect loyal customers. Watch carefully what Candidates for Council have to say, what their vision is and can they be believed as to how they will make Mission into an inclusive Community?. More in later editions…..
· “In my opinion” I am inclined to believe Chris Turner new book “The war on science” when he concludes “Canada is becoming a ‘narrow, mean place’, a Country “where policy determines the facts and evidence is shaped to fit political goals”, Like myself, “I hope this revelation makes every Canadian angry”? One fundamental error by the Government was elimination of the vast array of facts needed, by their elimination the long-form census but as we lift the veil, we may find an increasing number of similar retrograde steps to eliminate infrastructures needed by Canadians.
· “In my opinion”, I believe “COMMUNICATION” skills are the key to success and” TRUST” is the Biggest issue. To this end, Canadians are likely to VOTE Centre-Right next Federal election 2015 and it is perceived the Liberals will move quickly to solidify their position accordingly. Justin Trudeau is perceived a man of “depth, substance and principle” albeit current perceptions may indicate still a little immature as a statesperson but he can be allowed some unintentional indiscretions, in this vein, as not mean-spirited nor malicious in nature, and time will develop skills and maturity needed. By contrast, Stephen Harper has been touted as a “man of depth, substance & principle” but sadly, epitomizes failure to strengthen and create an inclusive Canada.
· In my Opinion, Government is perpetuating the lack of trust Canadians have in Government, that, for example as far back as 1995 when I and other Advocates raised alarm about “Mad Cow Disease’ and were lied to, that “no, Sheep “scapies” were not being fed to Cattle” but lo and behold what emerged and near decimated Cattle industry, right, “Mad Cow disease”. Around the same time we alerted Governments to prohibit use of anti-biotics in Farm Animals, again dismissed and told “not to worry” but now, coupled with an alarming lack of diligence by Doctors among others, the excessive and unnecessary use of anti-biotics for near everything, including untreatable virus, we witnessed a compounding of anti-biotic uses and yes, now “Super Bugs” but sadly, thus far, noone is held accountable, a process we have recommended change and some Government and others suffer enforcement & penalty. We extend to this list Boards & CEO, as stated elsewhere, of Pharmaceutical Companies, who are maliciously failing Canadians by adopting a “Port Folio Management decision” process, placing all Canadians at risk and we submit this malicious and aforethought known outcome is an act against Humanity and deserves the fullest extent of prosecution under the law, as this mindset and dereliction of trust and responsibility must not go unresolved.
· In my Opinion, the saying, “Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely” fits too many scenarios, just as too many believe they are invincible to public opinion but these same powerful people time after time repeat history as complete Governments are tossed out, CEO’s of major corporation are fired, Spokespersons of varied organizations are quickly replaced when they themselves come under adverse public scrutiny, Public personalities in Media often lose popularity and “bang they are gone in an instance”, the point being, abuse of power in the public eye will create needed change eventually. Too often, such as current Federal Government who being self-obsessed and “all powerful” in their view are incurring massive public unrest “just under the surface” and like a volcano eruption will blow at the first opportunity, think next election. Further, while Media is at an all-time low in “dumbing down” media coverage, with notable exceptions, one being the progressive www.abbotsfordtoday.com online media who provide all facts, whereas too many traditional media follow a censorship model and remain in denial, often only portraying local Government in “good light”, so as to “not bite the hand that feeds them presumably”. As well, this local media sadly has succumbed to an at any cost mindset “revenue prevails over all else” and too often papers become an extension of the massive content of flyers by bringing advertisers to overpower the print paper with ads, as well, denying often, public opinions and informative columns and stories.
· “LEARNING PAGE” – Our story this month reflects back to a growing concern of Seniors’ notably need for creating inclusive Communities, from an Age-Friendly perspective and defeating “Ageism & Seniors’ Abuse”…..
….. Some retrospection will identify a road to follow …..BUT, First, (our focus) Seniors’ & a (story) that needs to be told will appear in this section, from time to time, but today a commentary on Advocacy & Activist will appear…
A colleague was recently asked “why does he always write (negative) letters” and in another media someone wrote, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all”? In another circumstance a Municipal bureaucrat remarked to me, “we need to live and let live” as his explanation for doing nothing to remedy a problem. And so it goes daily, society becomes bogged down, complacency prevails, media is “dumbed down” to the extreme, politicians do not have anyone “holding their bums to the fire” and many exist “looking at the World through rose coloured glasses”.
· In the extreme we find a Dictator killing hundreds if not thousands of citizens, to combat public opposition to his regime and the World watches aghast, not unlike the genocide tolerated in Rhwanda & currently undertaken in Iraq. The ongoing “Religious Wars” are no-win scenarios, which seem ironic in premise, but some Religions feel they are better than another’s, and this presumably makes it right to kill in the name of (their) Religion. I suppose much may depend upon “how many God’s may be seen to exist, to rationalize killing in their name but it seems to me, all on Earth would be better serving their respective God if all lived in peace and harmony, to practice (their Religion) in private, believe their own beliefs and not feel disposed or justified to kill fellow man in the guise of some religious bent”. So, one might ask, why would less atrocities not be tolerated, it is the way many indifferent people respond.
· Whereas, the Advocate or close Cousin, the Activist will respond in more assertive ways. Often starting with a Letter to the Editor, sometimes a “delegation” to a Mayor & Council or submission to an appropriate level of (more) senior Government but typically, responding to a (negative) premise or situation. Hence, always trying to make a bad situation better, will emanate from a (negative) perspective or position. It would follow similarly, “why would an Advocate need to represent a positive issue” and so, we do not witness actions to remedy an already good situation. Thus, the obvious answer is “I always write from a negative position, to make it better” which in no manner describes an individual behaviour.
· An Advocate or counterpart Activist (engaging in more militant and assertive actions, boycotting, picketing, etc.) will start polite and seek reasonable dialogue and negotiations with either “decision makers” or opponents. But the true Advocate will not accept “no as an answer” and progress is often pro-active in manner, broadening public exposure and to draw Media attention to the issue/cause, including BOYCOTT or picketing. The (main) point being, “strength in numbers” and increased public opinion often generates pressure to have the opponent succumb to such pressure and agree to terms.
· An Advocate will persist against the moribund Government leadership who usually through an ineptness or ideology, hampers progress to benefit the masses and restricts movement within parameters they are familiar with or party-line. Sadly, we witness our Municipality, Province or Country mired in the dilemma created by this uninformed ilk today. An Advocate may represent individuals or groups, like Seniors’, who have been unable to achieve desired and entitled rights encompassing improved lifestyles for Seniors’. This is a focus of the Elder Citizens Action Coalition (ECAC) but is dramatically broadened to encompass most of the causes & issues we describe throughout News To You Editions, as we seek to speak for those who do not raise their voices and to augment those who do.
FOCUS MISSION & ABBOTSFORD ELECTION NOVEMBER 15, 2014
“We are only limited by the Imagination, Vision & Competence of our Leaders”
1. Mission VOTERS need to carefully select a new Mayor & Councillors but two crucial aspects of the election are obvious
· Seniors’ hold the balance of power and if we band together we will elect the new Council
· Seniors’ VOTE, thus read “News To You” and follow The Elder Citizens Action Coalition (ECAC) guidance.
· Several issues stand out this election, included but are not limited to (refer #3 and #4 below)
2. ELECTION STATISTICS & 2014 GOALS – Last election witnessed 7363 voters (30.0%) permitting riddance of Mayor Atebe and most of Council. This was up from 2008 – 5681 voters (25.1%). So the question may be, can we increase voter turnout to ensure a change? Why yes we can, if you get involved NOW and start by listening to ECAC! NEW TURNOUT TARGET 35.0%
3. In my opinion both Abbotsford & Mission have the opportunity to win big, remember first is to get a Council majority of members elected, to control all votes, I believe that means elect at least 5 candidates at Abbotsford & 4 at Mission but a (strong) MAYOR like Tony Luck at Mission & Henry Braun at Abbotsford, is crucial to any expected success. What do Politicians like the most about VOTERS? Given most (Politicians) have an established group of “follow at any cost mentality supporters”, they love to witness low voter turnout, a thriving apathy and when the eligible VOTERS become aroused, seek “change” and a higher voter turn-out is anticipated, we occasionally find the “weak leave the sinking ship and not seek re-election”.
4. SOME ELECTION ISSUES FOR CANDIDATES TO FULFILLa.
To provide or borrow up to $ 50,000.00 to renovate & upgrade the Dog Pound and to add a new structure to accommodate Cats as a shelter. In so doing, establish a minimum $ 85,000.00 annual operating Budget for Cat Control.
b. To provide or (consider) borrowing up to $ 6 million dollars to build a cement slab structure, Seniors’ Activity Centre on District owned land (either) adjacent the Leisure Centre, including Seniors’ Housing from 300-600 sq ft to other low-cost and market value housing, in close proximity to the exercise and amenities of the Leisure Centre (or) downtown on recently purchased old Buy-Low site, as an important “Civic Centre”, both on a Bus route and available parking. Downtown also affords opportunity to increases downtown walking traffic; to include a several story above/under ground PARKADE
c. Mission Council have joined Fraser Health Authority to impose pay parking at Mission Memorial Hospital in 5 years. This must prompt expansion of ongoing (current) protest to eliminate pay parking at Hospitals, by adding a protest to prohibit FHA & Mission Council from proceeding with an agreement to add MMH to the list of Hospital charging (unacceptable) parking fees. Ask each incumbent what they will do to change this decision, anyone not agreeing to stop this travesty does not deserve a VOTE.
* “NEW” Mission Council must pick-up the ball and take the building of a new Seniors’ Activity Centre to a touchdown now! The Seniors’ Centre Task Force completed its review and made several recommendations, which we are essentially in agreement with per se, except we vehemently oppose, “reference to likelihood it may take several more years to see the centre built” which flies in the face of some 6-8 years already lost by former Council indifference, which has witnessed too many Seniors’ not being able to enjoy a facility in their lifetime, many having died, illness or disillusionment but enough is enough, we say, so an expedited process and development is demanded, that more Seniors’ will enjoy the facilities within their lifetime. Candidates for Council ought to place this “time sensitive” need as a high priority in their election campaign platform.
* What do Politicians like the most about VOTERS? Given most (Politicians) have an established group of “follow at any cost mentality supporters”, they love to witness low voter turnout, a thriving apathy and when the eligible VOTERS become aroused, seek “change” and a higher voter turn-out is anticipated, we occasionally find the “weak leave the sinking ship and not seek re-election”.
· RECOMMENDED CANDIDATES
– ABBOTSFORD “NEW” – Abbotsford First Electoral Society www.abbotsfordfirst.com announce party & four Councillor Candidates, VINCE DIMANNO, KELLY CHAHAL, BRENDA FALK, RUSS SIEMENS, SANDY BLUE. Now, if they can interest Mayoralty Candidate HENRY BRAUN to join & take the lead, they indeed will have a better chance. We anticipate perennial winner PATRICIA ROSS will win a seat and from incumbent list DAVE LOEWEN would be an asset to work with the “new team” (still 1 opening undetermined).
– MISSION, “Incumbent” Councillor TONY LUCK is “running for Mission Mayor”. TONY and strong Councillor candidates we recommend, notably JEFF JEWELL, PAM ALEXIS, DANNY PLECAS, RHETT NICHOLSON, CAROL HAMILTON will provide Mission with the capable people to create a new beginning, a bright future and an inclusive municipally for all, plus perennial candidate Jenny Stevens.
Ø “New Feature” – “What ever happened” – in the interest of space we will leave this subject blank this edition.
Some Important dates to remember
· Wednesday October 1, 2014, NATIONAL SENIORS’ DAY, Seniors’ Fair, Vancouver Public Library, 10:00am -5:00pm
· Thursday OCTOBER 2, 2014, 10:30am, Mission Seniors Centre Association– meeting at Mission Community Activity Centre GUEST SPEAKER, Lorraine Logan, President, from COSCO Find out what COSCO is doing for Seniors’ and what Seniors’ expect from COSCO, at this important meeting. ALL SENIORS’ are encouraged to attend this meeting – JOIN or RENEW MSCA ($10 Annual dues – help plan activities – YOUR SENIOR VOICE, LEADERSHIP, SUPPORT & WISDOM is needed more than ever NOW! VOLUNTEERS are always needed. But as a sign of solidarity and strength in numbers, ALL Seniors’ need to, at the very least, join the MSCA and become known as a supporter of Seniors’ needs. By sad contrast, the perceived apathy and indifference generally, of voters and notably Seniors’ in this cause, convey weakness of spirit and yes, VOTES, to Politicians more impressed by (numbers), so don’t hesitate and weaken the Seniors’ resolve for recognition, get active and join MSCA now!
Note: Please email me any important Seniors’ dates throughout the year, that recognize any Seniors’ accomplishment or issues.
Some Important web.sites to become aware of & informed about Seniors’ issues
· The Elder Citizen Action Coalition (ECAC) – www.thecouncilclaw.ca ‘click’ CONTENTS. The pro-active, private owned & operated “cutting-edge Leadership for Seniors’ in Canada” – Seniors’ unite & organize; NOW on ECAC site, 23 pictures of the impressive “New” Pitt Meadows Seniors’ Activity Centre (adjoining “The Wesbrooke Seniors’Living Community”
· District of Mission Council – www.mission.ca – watch Council meetings in progress LIVE VIA WEB CAST or check back anytime to view any topic or issue
· COSCO “Council of Seniors Citizens’ Organizations” www.coscobc.ca – 80 affiliated organizations; 85,000 senior members – The “Joys & Tears Conference” notes now posted – Possibly your Association should join COSCO?
· MISSION SENIORS’ CENTRE ASSOCIATION (MSCA) web.site www.missionseniorscentre.com – ALL SENIORS’ 55+ years of age should consider joining MSCA
· CARP “ – A new vision of aging for Canada www.carp.ca – 60 Chapters, email@example.com Possibly your Association may benefit joining CARP?
· The Council Claw, Advocacy for Animals, to eliminate “Animal Cruelty” www.thecouncilclaw.ca refer to CONTENTS and select the issue and area of interest, astonishing “Gallery of Horrors”, to minimum STANDARDS to raise Farm Animals at “Wholesome & Humane Program”, to an array of effective Municipal Bylaws at “Your Direct Action” – leading-edge practices, policies and Legislation to ensure fair treatment of all Animals including your Companion animals (Dogs & Cats).
NOTE: While it is obvious to the sane human being, increased effective inspection of the farm food animals is crucial to ensure safe food, the option of Consumers to go VEGAN is one popular and growing course and another is to ensure Farmed Food is grown humanely and safe, to punish severally any person who abuses any Farm Animal. To assist Farmers and the Consumer, The Council (CLAW) developed a set of “MINIMUM STANDARDS” acceptable, thus any Farmer not meeting these standards ought to feel the full extent of a Consumer BOYCOTT. REFER www.thecouncilclaw.ca ‘click’ CONTENTS, ‘Wholesome & Humane Program’ for a detailed listing by Animal; to witness some of the abuse ‘click’ ‘Gallery of Horrors’.