Thursday morning Abbotsford Today reported on emails between Abbotsford Police Chief Bob Rich and several of his senior officers. The emails were revealed thanks to a Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Request (FOI) by the Pivot Legal Society.
The story, Abbotsford Police Emails Reveal Demeaning Attitude Toward The Homeless, has led to many questions about both the Chief’s behaviour and that of the APD.
Abbotsford Today sent the following questions to Mayor Banman and City Councillors asking for their response. We will provide those responses as and when we receive them,
Good evening Mayor and Council,
We would like your comments for publication on the news story published today on Abbotsford Today regarding the emails of the Abbotsford Police Department during and after the Abbotsford Chicken Manure Homeless incident.
You will find the story here:
1. Does the City of Abbotsford accept or condone the comments made by Chief Rich and senior officers under his command revealed in the story?
2. Does the City of Abbotsford have confidence that Chief Rich can continue to perform his functions with any degree of assurance that he can direct his force to treat the homeless with dignity given the content of the emails revealed today?
3. Will disciplinary action be taken against Chief Rich and/or any of the officers named in the emails?
4. Will Bob Rich be allowed to keep his job?
5. Will anyone at the City of Abbotsford or its police department ever be held responsible for the Abbotsford homeless crisis ?
We will publish your replies as and when we receive them.
Your commitment to and wholehearted participation in democracy is appreciated.
Today Media Group