Submitted. Shirley Wilson, Board of Education Vice Chair for Abbotsford School District No. 34, has confirmed she will let her name stand for re-election to the Board of Education for the 2014-18 term in the November 15th municipal election.>
Dedicated to education, families and community, Wilson is devoted to continued advocacy for the best possible opportunities to prepare students for a lifetime of success.
“All learners must be provided opportunity to realize their full potential and see that their ambitions and dreams are possible” says Wilson, “Our community plays a lead role in the education of our students. I remain committed to our children and families in Abbotsford.”
Wilson believes student success is supported by school choice, active parental involvement, strong individual support and fiscal accountability. She believes it takes a village to raise a child. Abbotsford has a solid history of providing world class, innovative, and individualized education for all students in our schools, and Wilson has played a significant role towards maintaining and surpassing this in her nine years of public service. Abbotsford is the first district to create and operationalize a strategic plan centred on student success.
Wilson believes parents must play an integral role as primary educators for their children. She has always been a strong advocate for families whether through her work in the charitable sector or in her elected school trustee position. Education is fundamental for children and families, and integrating community development with the public school system is key to success for each student.
An Abbotsford Senior Secondary graduate, Wilson is raising two children. With one in high school and one in University of the Fraser Valley (UFV), she understands the value of education. A life-long learner, Wilson is enrolled in UFV completing her BA in Adult Education.
Wilson provides event management and planning services to the charitable sector in the Fraser Valley. Moving here in 1983 with her family, Wilson enjoys the many opportunities and activities available in the community.
Elected in 2005, Wilson has served many roles in the community on behalf of the Board of Education, including her current role as Vice Chair, and remains personally active in organizations locally, provincially, and nationally.
Her current commitments include:
- Three-term elected Board of Education Trustee on Abbotsford Board of Education. (Budget of $188 million dollars, serves 19,000 students, employs 2100+ staff, 46 school sites, and various support sites.)
- Provincial Appointee to BCSTA Bargaining Advisory Committee
- Policy Committee Member (Past Chair)
- Communications Committee
- Agenda Setting Committee
- Appointee to Abbotsford Teacher Bargaining Committee
- Executive Member Fraser Valley Branch of BC School Trustees’ Association (BCSTA)
- Representative, BC Public School Employers’ Association (BCPSEA)
- Appointee Abbotsford Community Foundation Awards Committee
- Appointee City of Abbotsford Social Development Committee
- Appointee (Alternate), City of Abbotsford Traffic Safety Committee (Past Vice Chair)
- Peer Reviewer Imagine Canada (www.imaginecanada.ca)
- Director, Rotary Club of Abbotsford, Board of Directors
Previous roles include:
- Director, BCPSEA Board of Directors (Board terminated in 2013, now BCSTA Bargaining Advisory)
- Past President, Fraser Valley Branch BCSTA. (President for two years, Vice President one year, and Branch Education Representative one year)
- Chair, Policy Committee
- Member, Finance & Facility Committee (Standing committee of the Board of Education)
- Chair, Business Session, BCSTA AGM
- Facilitator & Host, BCSSTA Provincial Forum on Balanced and Year Round School Calendars in BC
- BCSTA appointee, BC Inter-Ministry Committee on the Prevention of Youth Violence and Crime
- Charter Member, Abbotsford Spirit of BC Community Committee
- Moderator, Yahoo! BC School Trustees Discussion Forum
- Chair (three years), Vice chair (one year) City of Abbotsford Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission
- Appointee, Literacy Matters Abbotsford
Appointee, Abbotsford School District Aboriginal Education Committee
Fund developer and charitable planner in the Fraser Valley
Campus 2020 Summit – UCFV Student Representative (2007)
This media release is authorized by Campaign Financial Agent, Shirley Wilson firstname.lastname@example.org