From the City of Abbotsford. The Zoning Bylaw update is currently underway with a target completion date of summer 2014. This comprehensive update will improve the City’s regulations, provide a legally resilient accessible document, decrease staff time needed for each development application, and advance the vision of the Official Community Plan while providing better service to our customers.
The consolidated bylaw has not had a comprehensive review in nearly eighteen years, and has given significant challenges to property and business owners proposing to make simple property improvements, including, but not limited to:
An increased number of Variances on development applications; and
An increased requirement for Comprehensive Development Zones (site specific customized zones).
The additional workload created by the existing Zoning Bylaw costs the City considerable staffing costs annually as well as increases the complexity of each development application that Council must consider and causes unnecessary complexities for a property owner.
These updates are intended to simplify and clearly articulate the Zoning regulations for properties within the City of Abbotsford, with the exception of the former Area H lands, which remain regulated by the Sumas Mountain Rural Land Use Bylaw (500-1992).
Completed Steps – Phase 1:
The preliminary directions approved by Council on February 17, 2014 are outlined in the Council Report PDS 017-2014, (with the exception of item 4.2 which was deferred following public consultation).
- Progress update to Council by Planning Staff – June 9, 2014
- Council Report PDS 82-2014
- PowerPoint presentation by Urban Systems
- Community consultation regarding draft revised Bylaw – June 25, 2014
- Open House Presentation Boards
- Review feedback received from public – July 2014
- Consideration of final revised Zoning Bylaw, 1st and 2nd reading approved by Council – August 11 2014
- Council Report PDS 110-2014 (includes as attachment proposed new Zoning Bylaw 2400-2014)
Next Steps – Phase 1:
- Public Information Session – August 25, 2014 at 5:45 pm, within the MCA Foyer (City Hall)
- Public Hearing – August 25, 2014 at 7:00 pm, within the MCA (City Hall)
- Target completion – September 2014
Phase 2 – Target Completion Spring 2015:
Phase 2 will commence upon completion of Phase 1, and will include a comprehensive review of all of the Agricultural (A) and Comprehensive Development (N) Zones, Density Bonusing provisions, previous text amendments, Adult Entertainment Use regulations, and a detailed review of increasing Secondary Suite options within the RS zones (Coach Houses and Garden Cottages).
If you have any questions or feedback regarding the Zoning Bylaw update, please feel free to contact us by using the form on the City of Abbotsford website.