From Jenn Currie. This August the Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre celebrates its fifth anniversary. In honour of this special occasion the site is having an anniversary event on Friday, August 23, at 11:30am.
The event will include festivities for both the public and staff. The community is invited to the first part of the event which will include a speech by BC Cancer Agency president, Dr. Max Coppes and Fraser Health’s Vice President of Clinical Operations, Vivian Giglio. Following the speech staff will be treated to a BBQ and cake.
Since opening its doors five years ago on August 25, 2008, the Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre has served thousands of people in the community. Below you will find some interesting stats about the Hospital and the Cancer Centre.
We hope you can join us for this exciting anniversary.
About the Abbotsford Cancer Centre:
• 4,300 patients have started radiotherapy treatment during the last five years
• 1,900 patients have began chemotherapy during the last five years
• There are currently 160 employees at the Cancer Centre
• The most common types of cancer treated at the Centre are: breast, prostate/reproductive (genito-urinary), gastro-intestinal, lung, and head and neck
• There have been 198 volunteers at the Abbotsford Centre since it opened; this includes 41 current volunteers and five volunteers who have volunteered at the Centre since 2008
• Annually, 60-65 prostate cancer patients will have permanent radioactive seed implants
• The Abbotsford Centre is a local and provincial resource: 90 per cent of the patients treated at the Abbotsford Centre reside in one of the following communities: Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Langley, Maple Ridge, Mission and Hope.
• The remaining 10 per cent of patients come from other parts of BC such as Vancouver Island, northern BC, the Okanagan, and Kootenay region
About the Abbotsford Regional Hospital:
In the last five years, the Abbotsford Regional Hospital has:
• Had more than 200,000 visits to its ER
• Seen nearly 60,000 inpatients
• Delivered approximately 9,000 babies
• Cared for approximately 47,000 surgical daycare patients
• Seen over 600,000 ambulatory visits
What: Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre’s Fifth Anniversary
When: Speeches start at 11:30am and the event goes until 2:00pm
Where: Atrium at the Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre, 32900 Marshall Road, Abbotsford, B.C.
Why: To celebrate five years of serving the people of Abbotsford and the Fraser Valley