From Abbotsford Whalers Swim Club. Congratulations to all swimmers who participated in the 2014 Fraser Valley Regional Championship!
Abbotsford Whaler Swim Club photo.
We are so proud of our swimmers’ accomplishments this year – here are some highlights:
It was a great weekend for our club – we once again won the regional championship swim meet. We also took home the prestigious ‘Points per Swimmer’ award, as the team with the highest average point total per swimmer attending. This is confirmation that we not only boast a high quantity of swimmers, but a very high quality as well.
We broke 7 regional records, 6 of them coming on Saturday.
– Lauren Jones (Division 7) broke the 100 butterfly record twice – she swam a 1:11.54 in the morning, and broke her record from the morning in finals with a 1:11.15.
– Madeline Fedora (Division 7) broke the 100 backstroke record which had held since 1985; she swam a 1:10.82.
– Brady Utas (Division 6)broke the 100 butterfly record from 1989 by a considerable margin, swimming a best time of 1:02.81. The record was held by Mark Leurs, who went on to swim with the Canadian national swim team.
– Fallon Quast (Division 4) continued her record breaking streak in 50 butterfly, swimming a best time of 30.57 and breaking the record in the process.
– Our Division 4 girls relay broke the regional record both in the 200 Medley Relay, and 200 Freestyle Relay. The Medley relay was composed of: Amy Connorton, Brynn Kampf, Fallon Quast, and Lauren Kennedy. The Freestyle Relay was composed of: Fallon Quast, Rachel Mortimer, Amy Connorton, and Lauren Kennedy.
As for aggregates, we won the following divisions:
Division 2 Girls: Emily De Jager
Division 3 Girls: Haley Klenk
Division 3 Boys: Mervin Jerodico
Division 4 Girls: Fallon Quast
OCat1 Boys: Ely Davidson
OCat2 Girls: Jean Leslie
Division 6 Boys: Brady Utas
Division 7 Girls: Maddy Fedora
Division 7 Boys: Gavin Wiese
Division 8 Girls: Alycia Connorton
It was a dominant weekend for our club! Now we get back to work and head to Kamloops on August 14th.